Thread: Hardy: Desktop disappeared and Compiz won't work

Beans
    Hidden!

Hardy: Desktop disappeared and Compiz won't work

Hello,

I encounter several problems with my Hardy installation:

1. Desktop icons and Wallpaper gone
    Whenever I log on the my Gnome desktop, I can't see any icons nor my wallpaper. The panels loads. Nautilus is running. I already searched and found postings about the gconf-editor. In my case, apps->nautilus->preferences->show desktop is activated. The only way I can get my desktop back (till I reboot again) seems to be gtweakUI-nautilus. Unticking and ticking "use nautilus to draw desktop" works. Furthermore, logging off the log on again usually crashes my computer. What could be wrong? Basically, I didn't do anything special, but today my computer just was like that.

2. Compiz won't work
    I use a laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600. The Mesa rendering gave me a really slow surfing experience, so I installed the proprietary ATI drivers through Envy. That worked fine (at least that's what fglrxinfo says), but I can't switch the 3D effects on. I get an error like "3D effects could not be enabled". This is not that bad, but has been better with 7.10. That's why I ask here. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help and your patience. If you need further information, please let me know!

Regards

Alex

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Hardy: Desktop disappeared and Compiz won't work

Okay, I should have read the sticky thread, that should solve the Compiz issue. But what about my desktop? Anyone has any ideas?

Thank you!

Alex

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Hardy: Desktop disappeared and Compiz won't work

This is strange.

Nautilus seems to be running from the beginning.

I deleted .nautilus, .gconf, .gconfd, .gnome, .gnome2pivate and .gnome. Furthermore I tried to create another user (logging in as that guy shows my desktop!).

Can anyone point me to another idea?

Thanks

Alex