Thread: Just installed KDE4. Can I remove KDE3?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just installed KDE4. Can I remove KDE3?

After installing KDE4, I noticed I have still have kde3 program packages. They aren't causing any problems but I would like to remove them because most of them are duplicates of kde4 packages, and they're a clutter. How would I completely remove kde3?
    Join me in my "No Thread Left Behind Act", the quest to leave no thread unanswered
    http://www.facebook.com/patrick.gunsolley
    Kubuntu 10.04 - Primary OS, Fedora 13 Rawhide Tester

Beans

Re: Just installed KDE4. Can I remove KDE3?

I thought about this at first when I had installed KDE4. But I end up starting kde3 every now and then because kde4 is sometimes a little buggy. I am waiting for kde4.1 before removing kde3.

Beans

I don't think there is any automated way to do it yet. My guess is that eventually the KDE4 packages will be transitioned back to the standard names with the -kde4, once 4 becomes stable. I wouldn't recommend getting rid of KDE3, but if you really want to, I think you'll have to go through them manually in adept, unless you can figure out some fancy regex to use for apt-get.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

KDE4 uses some of the KDE3's apps so sometimes some elements of KDE4 may be removed.

Beans

What about
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge kubuntu-desktop
    If this was the command the cd installer used to get kde3 installed on the pc, then would thgis then make all kde3 apps 'autoremovable'?

EDIT - try removing kdelibs-data. All kde3 packages seem to rely on this, yet kde4-core doesn't.
    Last edited by benerivo; May 8th, 2008 at 10:51 PM.