Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samba share problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Samba share problem

I am suddenly having a problem with Samba shares and permissions since I upgraded to 8.04, and this problem exists whether the share is on my Ubuntu server or the Windows server at the office. Here, I will use the windows server as an example:

-I can access files on the windows server with no problem.
    -I can open existing files that reside on the windows server, edit them, and save them with no problem.
    -If I create NEW files on my ubuntu laptop and save them to the windows server, I can NOT edit them directly from the server. I am told I do not have permission. I can edit those files on Windows, however.
    -This is true even if I make certain that the folders and files being transferred to the server are set to allow read and write access for all.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Samba share problem

bump ... I have been working on this for four hours and nothing I can find is working

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

At the moment, the appropriate line in my fstab looks like this:

//5.108.30.228/e-nrc_graphics/ /home/marcus/NRC auto rw,user,umask=000 0 0

Which obviously is not correct. I arrived at this after going through several different sites describing ftsab setup. None of them work. I have read/write access to folders, but read only access to files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Tried with the following:

//5.108.30.228/e-nrc_graphics/ /home/marcus/NRC cifs file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

still not working...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Bucks View Post
    Tried with the following:

//5.108.30.228/e-nrc_graphics/ /home/marcus/NRC cifs file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

still not working...

I mount my office network's shares using a script as follows:

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs "//<server/share>" <mount point> -o username="<username>",password='<password>',iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 -o setuids

I think the 'setuids' may be what you are missing - I had a similar problem to yourself and this fixed it.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I managed to fix it using "no perms" today. Thanks for the reply.

Beans

I have the same problem. I am looking at the file permissions as they are created and its not following the the create or directory mask set in samba.

The server is CentOS 5 and the client is Ubuntu 8.04. I tried the "no perms" option given above but the file permissions were even further off than the mask at that point.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You know, in researching this issue it appeared that a lot of people starting having permissions issues in Hardy that didn't exist in previous ubuntu versions.

Beans

I just started researching and this was the only discussion I had found so far.

I figured there must have been a samba update with 8.04 and it didn't like something in my rush job setup of mounts. Could you list some of the other discussions you have found?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Didn't keep them... sorry. I used google and yahoo, spending about six hours on the problem yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast