Thread: Problem with "make install"-ing the Bless Hexeditor

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!

Problem with "make install"-ing the Bless Hexeditor

I just tried to install the Bless Hex Editor (http://home.gna.org/bless/) from Source on a Hardy system. Unfortunately I keep getting an error which won't allow me to "make install".

Bless is a C# project, that uses autotools for building (including gettext for i18n). So for compiling/installing one can just do ./configure && make && make install. I'm using the 0.5.2 code from the project's website.

While ./configure and make work flawlessly, make install does always print out an error:
    Code:
    desktop:~/bless-0.5.2$ ./configure --prefix=/home/user/bless
    desktop:~/bless-0.5.2$ make
    desktop:~/bless-0.5.2$ make install
    Making install in po
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/user/bless-0.5.2/po'
    /bin/sh @MKINSTALLDIRS@ /home/user/bless/share
    /bin/sh: Can't open @MKINSTALLDIRS@
    make[1]: *** [install-data-yes] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/user/bless-0.5.2/po'
    make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
    It seems as if this is caused by the gettext/auto* tools - po/Makefile.in.in is generated by autopoint and configure.ac looks fine. It's just that @MKINSTALLDIRS@ doesn't get replaced in the generated po/Makefile.
    There is also a bug filed for this at https://gna.org/bugs/?9660.

Now this also happens when I try to use the Ubuntu source package (apt-get source bless). Is there anyone here who knows how I could handle with this? There does't seem to be much info about the @MKINSTALLDIRS@-issue on the net...

Update:
    Well it turned out that after all it was the configure.ac. It references an old version of gettext, so this is what I had to change in order to get this to work.

- AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.14)
    + AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.17)
    Last edited by damava; May 7th, 2008 at 07:57 PM.