Thread: cheap nas box suggestion

Beans

cheap nas box suggestion

I have one desktop, one laptop and a mythtv box connected via a wireless router and I'm planning to move all multimedia content to a separated inexpansive a low power nas unit. RAID1 is not necessary.
    I know linksys, dlink and western digital have some interesting products. On some of these you can even install a custom linux distro. Anyway, any hd enclosure would be ok as long as it's known to work and cheap.
    Any of you have some positive feedback or has tested some hw?
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: cheap nas box suggestion

I haven't tested any of the consumer NAS boxes but if I were to make a NAS I would probably just take an old computer and shove some 750 GB drives in it. Then I have full control over choosing OSes and no weird limitations that linsys, dlink and other put into their products.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

The nas would be on 24/7 so a pc would not be energy efficient enough.
    Regarding brand dedicated products, limitations are you talking about?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

nothing specific but from my experience there is always some sort of proprietary something built into which you cant remove. I find that its hard to install linux on consumer NASes because of this.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved