Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System beeps on return from suspend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question System beeps on return from suspend

I dont know what is causing this, I get a few system beeps every time I return from suspend, I also disabled system sound but it still occurs.

How can I diagnose this?

Beans

Re: System beeps on return from suspend

No idea what could be causing this as I have never used suspend on any of my machines but you could try blacklisting the pc speaker module which is probably what is making the noise. To do so add
    Code:
    blacklist pcspkr
    to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. This won't take effect till you reboot and you will need to open the file with sudo to make the change (Alt-F2 then enter gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist)
    Registered Linux User #464572
    journal.ryanhaigh.net
    www.ryanhaigh.net

Beans

I don't know. I get beeps after I try to suspend and then come back from suspend, but I also get an error message saying that my computer has failed to suspend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Or if you don't want to disable the speaker, you can disable system beeps from sound settings.
    Face your daemons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If suspend/resume is working but beeping at you, try System->Preferences->Power Management->General and uncheck, "Use sound to notify of an error".
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What kind of computer? I know thinkpads do this by default and its a bios setting. I turned it off in bios and havn't heard it since.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans

I have the same problem, but mine is not consistent. In many ocassions my computer resumes without problem but sometimes it beeps and I get the message that my computer failed to suspend. Is there any log where I could check why I got that message?
    Visit my blog

Beans

I get very similar behavior on an XPS M1210. Sometimes after resuming, there's a series of loud, shrill beeps that do not appear to be BIOS error beeps. Sometimes, this is all that happens, and the laptop resumes just fine. Other times (with or without beeps) it will resume without the keyboard and mouse working. When that happens, closing the lid to suspend it, then re-opening the lid can sometimes(*) fix the problem. In no event do I get any error text displayed in X.

(*) 1/1 attempts worked; I'd need a larger sample size to know the trend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question Re: System beeps on return from suspend

I get the same problem except the loud beeps come out of my 5.1 surround speakers and headphones. I also get the error message and amusing a desktop computer going into s3 suspend with s3 suspend to ram enabled in bios. I've gon through litterally hundreds of post on this and have not found a bug filed yet for it with launchpad or ACPi kernal modules. I'm wondering if that means there is a solution. It ony started after i installed 8.04 beta and doing a fresh install of Hardy LTS hasn't stopped it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Update: I attempted to turn off the audio notification in power management and it didn't help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast