Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make a shortcut on desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How to make a shortcut on desktop?

I have alacarte installed and don't remember if it is necessary on 12.04 . What I would do is drag the launcher icon to the desktop right click the icon to enter properties.

In properties under basic select the icon picture on the left and navigate to the folder of the image you would like to use, select the image, and select open. If you need alacarte use the following. (I have tested this )

Code:
    sudo apt-get install alacarte
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; February 1st, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: New Docs
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here's a pretty simple way if you're comfortable in the terminal, or can cut & paste. In a terminal, type the following:

Code:
    gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new
    Give your launcher a name, enter the command(s), and add a comment if you're so inclined, it's not necessary. To add/change an icon, you'll want to create or import an appropriately sized graphic. It looks like the preferred file type is *.svg but I've used .png in the past. You could put it in the what appears to be the default location, or just in ~/Pictures or wherever. The default location appears to be:

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps

Left-click the little icon thingy on the left side of the 'Create-Launcher' window. Navigate to your new icon, click it and you should be good. If you put your new icon in your user account, don't delete it. Ask me how I found out about that. It looks a link is created, not a copy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Here's a pretty simple way if you're comfortable in the terminal, or can cut & paste. In a terminal, type the following:

Code:
    gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new
    Give your launcher a name, enter the command(s), and add a comment if you're so inclined, it's not necessary. To add/change an icon, you'll want to create or import an appropriately sized graphic. It looks like the preferred file type is *.svg but I've used .png in the past. You could put it in the what appears to be the default location, or just in ~/Pictures or wherever. The default location appears to be:

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps

Left-click the little icon thingy on the left side of the 'Create-Launcher' window. Navigate to your new icon, click it and you should be good. If you put your new icon in your user account, don't delete it. Ask me how I found out about that. It looks a link is created, not a copy.
    Bs'd

I managed to make one, with my own picture. I did have to install alacarte, but the terminal gave me the command how to do that. There were a few hiccups, but I managed in the end.

Thanks everybody for your input, I'm very happy with the result.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12