Thread: Screenlets not running properly in Hardy

Beans

[SOLVED] Screenlets not running properly in Hardy

Hi all,

This is about the strangest bug I've come across. I'm trying to get screenlets 0.1.1 running on Ubuntu Hardy 64bit, but every time I try to start one from the screenlets-manager nothing happens or I get a bug report saying that Screenlets crashed unexpectedly.

I can get the screenlets themselves to run, but only if I run them with sudo through the terminal which makes the screenlets-manager daemon run as root. The manager has no functionality when it's run as root, and I can't do anything with the screenlets themselves other than have them on the screen.

This seems like I'm doing something wrong with permissions somewhere, but damned if I can figure out where. The screenlets do work as far as I can tell.

Anyone seen this before? Any help is most appreciated.
    Last edited by Aetheric; May 6th, 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Beans

Re: Screenlets not running properly in Hardy

Bump - can some computer genius give me any hint on how to fix this?

Beans

Re: Screenlets not running properly in Hardy

Ok, by a roundabout route I figured it out and fixed it.

I had to change the permissions on /usr/share/screenlets and /usr/share/screenlets-manager to allow all users read and write access. chmod wasn't working, so eventually I had to sudo nautilus, navigate to each screenlet .py file, and change the permissions directly.

I figured this out when I couldn't run alacarte except as root, and then spotted in traceback that there was an error like "IOError: [Errno 13]" and permission denied for a file in /usr/bin. So when I searched online for a solution, I spotted a thread in the forums that listed how to change the permissions.

Marking this one as solved, but if anyone else is reading this - please be very, very careful what you do if you're running nautilus as root.