Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cedega: STAY AWAY

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cedega: STAY AWAY

Quote Originally Posted by WalmartSniperLX View Post
    That is true, but they've done a few other things as well to ensure that the games that run in both wine and cedega... actually work correctly in cedega. I've played a few games that worked in both wine and cedega and the controls weren't exactly set right in wine, but they were in cedega (and the game settings). I'm positive this can be simply fixed by the user though. I was too lazy to investigate Also, I noticed that in Doom 3, the graphics seem to artifact a lot in wine, but in Cedega they don't artifact at all. Then again, this could have a relation to my graphics drivers. Once again, I understand that these results only speak for myself and my system.
    On a completely unrelated note, you do know that Doom 3 has a Linux native client, right? Wine/Cedega/CrossOver are not required to play it on Linux at all and the performance is at least equal to, if not better than, Windows:
    http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/doom/

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Actually, the biggest difference between Cedega and the other Wine derivatives is the fact that Transgaming licensed copy protection support from SecuROM, SafeDisk and others. That allows most games to run in Cedega without the need of a cracked executable (as is often required with Wine and CrossOver). Other than that, individual game performance should be almost identical with all Wine-based products (for games that actually work with all of them, that is).
    A good number of these copy protection schemes work properly in Wine now too, without the need for such licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicity999 View Post
    Actually, that's incorrect. Transgaming more recently has started contributing much more. Even more if you count all the transgaming staff that are actual wine hackers.
    They have staff who are former Wine hackers. They don't contribute to Wine anymore.

I wouldn't say that Transgaming hasn't done anything for Wine - they have made a few contributions to a handful of LGPL Wine bits that they've decided to import into Cedega. It's very little compared to Codeweavers, who have 90% of their staff spending 90% of their time on the completely free Wine, taking only a bit of time to branch it off into a stable Crossover release every once in a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicity999 View Post
    "I was too lazy to investigate"
    You're Cedega's userbase =P that in itself isn't a bad thing, some people want a "just works" solution, free or not, and this is no different. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

You haven't however, proven me wrong that you're just paying for the GUI, Bottling ability, and some hackish cd identification.
    I spent lots of time tweaking with wine using common fixes and howtos. I know I didn't state this (or did I? I forget) but I even tweaked around in regedit trying to fix my video issues.

In the case of Doom 3, I only spent about 30-45 min tweaking wine for it. I would call that lazy. But, I spent days on end trying to get wine to work with my other games. So with that said, I'm paying for a product of higher overall, commercial quality.

{edit} I did state that there was nothing I could do to get Anarchy Online working, right? I tried every known workaround for AO besides compiling wine from source. It never worked. However in Cedega, it worked after a few setting tweaks. I don't want something that's easy, my friend. I already wasted a week of my time messing with wine to get AO working. I just want something that works. Period. And, the game CD issue you speak of never crossed my way
    Last edited by WalmartSniperLX; May 9th, 2008 at 08:04 AM.
    Join me in my "No Thread Left Behind Act", the quest to leave no thread unanswered
    http://www.facebook.com/patrick.gunsolley
    Kubuntu 10.04 - Primary OS, Fedora 13 Rawhide Tester

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    On a completely unrelated note, you do know that Doom 3 has a Linux native client, right? Wine/Cedega/CrossOver are not required to play it on Linux at all and the performance is at least equal to, if not better than, Windows:
    http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/doom/
    Yeah I know it's out there. I was just using Doom 3 as another test for wine, cedega, and crossover.
    Join me in my "No Thread Left Behind Act", the quest to leave no thread unanswered
    http://www.facebook.com/patrick.gunsolley
    Kubuntu 10.04 - Primary OS, Fedora 13 Rawhide Tester

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345