Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabling auto-links in Tomboy

Beans

Disabling auto-links in Tomboy

Hi all,

Is it possible to disable auto-links in Tomboy?

Thanks,
    Dominik

Beans

Re: Disabling auto-links in Tomboy

I would also like to know if this is possibly. It's a good program, but I hate the auto-links. I once accidentally titled a note Be for a few seconds, now every previous instance of the word Be in my notes is changed to long title that it became. Argh! So yeah, there has to be some way to disable this, right? Or is another simple note program that would be better to use?

Beans

yes, yes, please! this irritates me sooo much. it's been talked about, but I haven't seen anything done about it. this is the most I found, doing a Google search:

http://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/DevMeetingZeroPointTen/Log

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I recently edited a date that was a link title and ended up with a catastrophic failure like this. I think perhaps Tomboy should issue a warning when the number of title/links being changed exceeds a user-specifiable number. Something like, "Warning: Tomboy is about to change 650 link titles. Should I proceed?"

I edited a date down to "2010", the link/title database updated, creating a new note titled "2010". I then changed the title/link in the original note to "Today: Saturday, January 2, 2010" and Tomboy promptly changed every instance of "2010" in every note to "Today: Saturday, January 2 2010". So, that amounted to something like 400 changes.

Of course, the solution which I figured out after changing a dozen or so, was to change the title of the note to 2010, copy its contents to a new note, and then delete the note 2010. But that still left me with a few hundred "2010"s to highlight, make small, make italic, make bold or otherwise change the formatting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

hey developers, please, please, please....

REMOVE THOSE STUPID AUTO-LINKS IN TOMBOY!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just another user who would very much like to be able to turn-off auto-linking. At least between notes. Please!

The contents of the notes is often reflected in the title, and so notes that are about the same or similar issue have lots of auto-links. In order to manage notes, titles change... the most annoying part about this is that is totally messes up all the other notes, because changing the title of one note will suddenly change the text within lots of other.

Beans

I have to second bobzr's large print, all-caps request. This auto-linking is singly the most annoying (and useless) 'feature' in Tomboy.

Why not simply provide an 'Autolink' menu item in the right-click context-sensitive menu when a word or phrase is selected? If the target link is found, it should highlight as underlined blue link. If the target link is not found, it should highlight as underlined gray link (which will create a new note with that title if clicked). Of course, the right-click context-sensitive menu should also have a Remove Link option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

May be some hope... (from the developers mailing list "tomboy-list@lists.beatniksoftware.com"):

Some people are not fans of automatic linking behavior. We will
    probably make it optional/configurable in a future release. See
    http://automorphic.blogspot.com/2010...automatic.html
    Auto-linking will probably be optional in a future release. You can
    make this happen faster by submitting a patch. This has been
    discussed quite a bit in bugzilla, but there is currently no open bug
    for this feature. It would be helpful if you would file one (as an
    Enhancement, please) to track it.

Beans

Angry Re: Disabling auto-links in Tomboy

I suppose we can disable the plugin now.. Actually I disable them all, dont want any of them.. Just want plain notes!

Now, how to disable hyperlinks??? so hard to copy paste stuff when hyperlinks are on the way, without mistakenly clicking them. Grrr

Beans

Angry Re: Disabling auto-links in Tomboy

Quote Originally Posted by bobzr View Post
    hey developers, please, please, please....

REMOVE THOSE STUPID AUTO-LINKS IN TOMBOY!!!!
    Please give us the option to use TEXT ONLY notes!
    No more hyperlinks please! No URL links, no file links... emails links... please! They are soooooo anyoying... and Tomboy is THE notes apps.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast