Thread: Mounting SSH folders through nautilus

Hybrid View

Beans

Mounting SSH folders through nautilus

Hello.

Since I've upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy I can no longer mount remote SSH folders through the built-in support in nautilus. Even sftp://serverort immediately gives the same connection denied error.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Post Re: Mounting SSH folders through nautilus

Hi zhark,

Did you try with Menu -> Places -> Connect to server, then choose SSH in server type, and check add bookmark to have it ready in "Places" next time...
    "It’s easy to get frustrated when your program has errors. I try not to think of them as errors, though.
    I try to think of them as the pathetic attempts of a socially inept non-native English speaker (your computer) asking for help." -- Chris Pine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Mounting SSH folders through nautilus

Hi, I am trying the same thing as zhark1 with no success

I can ssh to my server via a terminal no problem, but when I try Places=>connect to server, it creates a desktop link and puts the entry in the places menu, but I can't connect/browse this location with nautilus. Also, when I go through the "connect to server" method, it does not ask for a password? but it does when I use a terminal?

I must be missing something, please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Has anyone found an answer to this question?
    I used to have no problem connecting to the ssh server we keep in the house for our backups under Gutsy with Nautilus. I tried the "connect to server" option with the bookmark, but when it connects me i can see the folders in the server with my files, but if I try to open a folder or a file gnome-panel freezes. If I try to access my ssh server through the created bookmark it says it can not connect to location "sftp://... etc".
    Is there any way to revert the ssh functionality to the previous version on Gutsy or to fix this?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Clint1010: Can you unmount the link on the desktop (right click, unmount) and try to reconnect?

Did you say you wanted the password remembered forever? If so, it might be in the keyring

Applications->Accessories->Passwords and Encryption Keys->Passwords

and delete the key corresponding to the user:server.

Then try and reconnect your normal way.

arddwyn: Possibly try deleting the bookmark and recreating it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I recreated the bookmark and deleted the password on the keyring to start fresh. I was able to connect from the newly created bookmark but still when I access the ssh folders even though I can see my folders I can't do anything. Just now looking at it with only firefox and the nautilus window open, my CPU was at 94% and it took 30 seconds between clicking on the main menu and when my options showed up. I tried opening another window with the files I wanted to copy to the server and Nautilus shut down. I am running Gutsy server edition on the other computer and never had a problem before the Hardy upgrade

Beans

I'm running Hardy and I've tried mounting an ssh folder through Places > Connect to server and it seems to work just fine the first time it opens. It opens the subdirectory I specified and puts a shortcut on my desktop just like it should. When I close the file browser and click on the icon to reconnect to the remote directory it no longer opens the correct subdirectory. It opens the root directory instead. Is there any way to get the shortcut to continue to open the subdirectory instead of the root directory? I know this was possible in Feisty, but I can't seem to figure it out anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb Re: Mounting SSH folders through nautilus

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=554555 for some advice about this. It fixed the problem for me, but interestingly it didn't help on my boyfriend's computer at all, even though we have the same setup. Still trying to figure out what the issue is on his system.

Michael
    'To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.'
    --e.e. cummings

Beans

I had the same problem... this is a bug with sftp when ssh has some responses...
    this FAQ solved my problem

http://openssh.org/faq.html#2.9