Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kubuntu Hardy slow at booting up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Kubuntu Hardy slow at booting up

Does anyone else find that Kubuntu Hardy Heron is slower than Gutsy when it comes to booting up?

I also find that it's slower than my Windows XP at booting.

I'm not obsessive about start up times or anything like that but it's just a bit inconvenient say if I want to nip on and check some e-mails.

(I suppose some might say just boot into Windows XP then but that's besides the point. I would like Kubuntu to boot up just as quickly.)

TWO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Kubuntu Hardy slow at booting up

How long are we talking, here? If it's in the 25 - 50 second range, it's normal. A lot more than that and there may be something wrong with a module, etc.

To get small boosts in bootup speed, there are a few things you can do, including disabling unneeded startup services. E.g., if you don't use any Bluetooth devices, you can turn off that service.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    How long are we talking, here? If it's in the 25 - 50 second range, it's normal. A lot more than that and there may be something wrong with a module, etc.

To get small boosts in bootup speed, there are a few things you can do, including disabling unneeded startup services. E.g., if you don't use any Bluetooth devices, you can turn off that service.
    It took just over a minute so maybe it's not as bad as I thought?

The thing is that I know that Kubuntu Gutsy was slightly quicker and my previous installs of Ubuntu were quicker still. I just checked, and my Windows XP boots in like 20 seconds from the GRUB menu.

Kubuntu is more light-weight than XP is it not, so what could be slowing it down so much? I think I've already disabled Bluetooth, but I'm pretty sure that new things have popped up since the distro upgrade so I'm not sure what else I can disable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by TWO View Post
    It took just over a minute so maybe it's not as bad as I thought?
    Just means that nothing is seriously wrong, not that you can't get things working better.

Kubuntu is more light-weight than XP is it not, so what could be slowing it down so much? I think I've already disabled Bluetooth, but I'm pretty sure that new things have popped up since the distro upgrade so I'm not sure what else I can disable.
    Remember, XP was released 7 years ago. While Ubuntu is certainly lighter than the proprietary OSes released last year (Windows Vista and OS X Leopard), it is prone to taking up more resources than XP. Of course, this depends entirely on the configuration, and it's relatively easy to get Ubuntu or any Linux to be extremely light on resources.

There are several graphical front-ends for controlling startup services, but it's been a while since I've used them, so I can only give you the old fashioned way:
    Code:
    ls /etc/rc2.d/
    The contents of this directory will show you what gets initiated during the boot process. If you want to paste the output here, I can tell you how to disable some of the commonly unneeded services.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Another small change which might cut a few seconds would be by disabling fsck of NTFS partitions in /etc/fstab.
    Face your daemons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Here is the output of ls /etc/rc2.d/

README
    S01policykit
    S05vbesave
    S10acpid
    S10powernowd.early
    S10sysklogd
    S10xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    S11klogd
    S12dbus
    S13kdm
    S17mysql-ndb-mgm
    S18avahi-daemon
    S18mysql-ndb
    S19mysql
    S20apmd
    S20apport
    S20hotkey-setup
    S20kde-guidance
    S20makedev
    S20nvidia-kernel
    S20powernowd
    S20rsync
    S24dhcdbd
    S24hal
    S50cupsys
    S50guarddog
    S89anacron
    S89atd
    S89cron
    S98usplash
    S99acpi-support
    S99laptop-mode
    S99rc.local
    S99rmnologin
    S99stop-readahead
    Another small change which might cut a few seconds would be by disabling fsck of NTFS partitions in /etc/fstab.
    That sounds interesting. How essential is the fsck of NTFS partitions?
    Last edited by TWO; May 6th, 2008 at 06:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Here is the output of ls /etc/rc2.d/
    A few things to consider here. cupsys is only necessary if you are operating a printer with this machine. wacom support is only needed for, umm, wacom tablets. The nvidia-kernel service ships with Ubuntu, but is obviously not needed unless you are actually using an nVidia graphics card. You don't need both ACPI and APM (newer laptops are almost all ACPI) support. I can't remember exactly what apport does, but at some point I determined that I didn't need it, and disabled it. You can also disable the bootsplash screen if you don't care about that part.

That sounds interesting. How essential is the fsck of NTFS partitions?
    It's not.

EDIT: I added in the '#' to split up the sections.
    Better is to use the [code]...[/code] tags. That will leave the spaces in formatted text such as that output.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    It's not.
    Is it worth being disabled anyway?

Better is to use the [code]...[/code] tags. That will leave the spaces in formatted text such as that output.
    Thanks for that, I'll use that in future.

I'll give your suggestions a try and see what happens.

TWO

Edit: If I disable cupsys, when I come to need a printer which I infrequently do, will it detect it as normal?
    Last edited by TWO; May 6th, 2008 at 06:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is it worth being disabled anyway?
    It won't speed up normal boots, but it will get rid of the interval checks that fsck performs on that partition. So, yes.

Edit: If I disable cupsys, when I come to need a printer which I infrequently do, will it detect it as normal?
    Yeah, disabling it as a bootup service does not remove it from the system. Most installed services still have a run script in /etc/init.d. You can start cupsys by typing:
    Code:
    sudp /etc/init.d/cupsys start
    I do this with several services I use only occasionally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK. I've just disabled some of the one's you've suggested but I can' find anything related to the nvidia-kernel or to the NTFS fsck in the System Services menu. Is there an alternate way to look at start-up services and disable them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast