Hello,

First of all, to let you know, I am a complete newbie, and this current setup is the first one I've ever made. Please use the terms according to my level, if you care to see enough trouble to help me out here.

I would need to have different permissions for the folders within a share as well as have different shares with password and non-password access.

PROBLEM 1:

I have 3 different shares, one of them being a subfolder in one of the other 2. Each of these shares are having several subdirectories. Basically 1 out 3 (the subfolder in the other share) should be read-only for everyone except me, and I would like everyone else to be able to access without a password as the user base is several hundred individuals. However, I have not been able to make a setting where password would not be asked.

Example of my smb.conf for this particular folder is here:

[Document Templates]
path = /media/lss/Templates
browsable = yes
read only = yes
guest ok = yes
available = yes

security is set to share, not user

PROBLEM 2:

The remaining 2 folders a) should only accept users granted access to those two folders b) Some of the subdirectories within the share would need to be READ-ONLY or WRITE-ONLY regardless who puts in and what (excluding me). For this I have only the following example smb.conf, as I really don't have a clue how to do it. The problem I always end up getting is the READ-ONLY/WRITE-ONLY for subdirectories. I really don't know how to do it nor could find any suitable information on it. It seems if the permissions on the main share are changed, everything else behind that follows it.

[Repository]
comment = Document Submissions and Collections
path = media/lss
available = yes
browsable = yes
writable = yes
valid users = me + the others, would like to use the group for this instead due to the high number of users
valid groups = how can I use this? just list the groups and then users are not needed to list separately?
create mask = 0700
guest ok = yes
force user = nobody

And I DO know the example above is not correct.

So far I have not been able to create a passwordless access even if I have disabled all the other shares. Let alone getting the read/write-only thing to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.