Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970

Thread: What is your killer Windows app/ app you simply can't be without in Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What is your killer Windows app/ app you simply can't be without in Linux?

I won't call it my killer app, because I don't need to do this very often, but right now, on the top of my Linux wish list, is a way to create PDF/X-1a:2001 files without having to resort to a Windows program.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

MS Publisher - how sad is that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

None, with Wine and gazillion of programs for Linux out there... no need.
    I have been strictly Linux for about 4 years. Never looked back.

Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JonPaul View Post
    MS Publisher - how sad is that?
    Not really.

My wife was surviving with Linux and programs but in a few minutes of sitting in front of my work computer (XP) running Publisher 2010 she was already doing more than she usually did in Linux. It was at that point I had to accept what is better for HER, regardless of what I may want or think.

So she's been using it since last December and my "tech-support" calls have dropped to almost nothing.

That's just us, though.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Microsoft's OneNote is the best app I have ever used, as someone who often writes as a hobby. Linux alternatives completely lack the vast amount of features, are buggy and do not run well in many cases, and have interfaces that look like the early 2000s harking at you. Winamp and Foobar are other apps that I miss. Linux music players have few or lack of proper support for DSPs also. Some DSP's are actually very useful also like some I've used that improve sound on headphones and drastically reducing listening fatigue. Some are good to play around and hear like Enhancer017, etc.

I've not tried Wine, but reading online Winamp is buggy in wine, it seems with skin and playlist bugs. I might try OneNote in wine. Hope it doesn't look too ugly.

The situation is improving though, with projects like GNOME beautifying the widget sets and interfaces of apps. Would like to see adoption of Ribbon or Ribbon-like interfaces also, though that's not likely.

Beans

Nothing, except I do still use Sketchup, however I use it in wine, so I have been COMPLETELY windows-free since November 2010.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Microsoft Office (LibreOffice is still a child in comparison) I also use version 2013 Prof.
    Adobe master collection cs6 (sorry, there is no free software that really comes close, gimp is no true alternative to Photoshop the same with incscape)
    Cinema4D (Now I do believe most autodesk apps actually have a linux version like 3dsmax and maya)
    Cubase and Fruity Loops (Linux MMS is kind of a joke...)

While linux is my daily driver (currently installing source mage, fell in love with sorcery and a 20 minute install versus 2hrs with gentoo still get the same optimizations though so beyond spending time in package.use for setting useflags per package and the install you get the same optimizations but sorcery remembers my choices so it wins in my book.

I'm sure I'll get some bashing not using "free" software but I use the best tool for the job, and ubuntu really isn't free as it does use closed source drivers and sources.

I think we have a better chance of getting adobe over to Linux (objective-c compiles fine on linux, so if adobe's mac versions of it software use obj-c and c++ it shouldn't be that difficult to compile it over as long is as it's universal not locked down to one distro a simple sh ./adobe.sh install would be fine. Than say real gaming.

Beans

I only play Blizzard games (they all run fine under Ubuntu).

Other than that... there is always a free (and better) alternative to a Windows app on Linux (I experienced this same thing when I moved to Mac OS around 2002).

Beans

[boring post deleted]
    Last edited by iamkuriouspurpleoranj; May 1st, 2013 at 11:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Autocad. For a professional usage, Autocad make my day.
    But since I don't need to create any 3D lines, I am totally fine with SketchUp on WINE.
    Then, game is the only reason why I didn't delete my Windows partition.

Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970