Thread: Changed routers, now wireless not working!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Changed routers, now wireless not working!

I have a Lenovo laptop here with 7.04 installed. I had a wireless connection working fine until a couple days ago, when I moved in with the GF and I'm using her wireless router [edit: unfortunately I gave that one away, so it's too late to grab the working one]. Now I can see the network, but can't log in.

The set up was:
    laptop --> Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 wireless router (WEP encrypted) --> cable modem

Now the set up is:
    laptop --> Linksys BEFW11S4 v4 wireless router (WEP encrypted) -->cable modem

Her laptop, running Windows XP, seems to be connecting without a problem. I have the modem set up on Channel 6, and to "Obtain IP Address Automatically." I've done a little research and most wireless problems seem to come down to the wireless card drivers... but in this case I'm pretty sure that's not it, because the wireless card was working fine before.

Just as an FYI, I'm not a complete Linux newbie, but I'm still not that far along yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Changed routers, now wireless not working!

Dumb question, but you did change your encryption key to hers, didn't you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Not a dumb question! But yes, I changed the encryption key. Actually, I gave the router a new encryption key, because hers wasn't encrypted. Yeah, I'm a bad boyfriend for not checking up on that, I guess. But it's definitely encrypted now -- 128-bit WEP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Addendum: I turned on the laptop this morning to do a little writing, and it managed to connect to the wireless router! (I typed in the "keyring password" as a matter of habit.) The connection was very slow, and after a couple of minutes it dropped the connection entirely and wouldn't reconnect. So the problem is a little more weird than I initially thought. Could it be the driver after all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think it's a router issue. These things are notoriously unreliable. Check here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7069184 Only 36 pages of comments.

I used to have one and struggled with it for years. It seemed to return to life when it was power-cycled, that is, unplugged, count to ten, (One-darn it, two-stupid router, three-piece of garbage, etc.) and plug it back in.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Wow... some random selections of that were an enlightening read.

That's really too bad, because the "very-used" v1 router I had worked like a dream -- I had to reset it a grand total of once, and that was only because my former roommate had messed with it for some unfathomable reason.
    Last edited by Turin; May 5th, 2008 at 04:20 PM.