Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I decided to try a G4 Imac-help!

Beans

Re: So I decided to try a G4 Imac-help!

Thanks, I will try to find the ppc version of 8.04 and see if that helps any. As far as what model I have is a trick question. Looking at your link I can tell you it is a G4/800 Flat panel 15", but they show two of them and All I know is that mine uses convection cooling on the processor but has a fun in the top of the case above the drives. But they both show a fan in the description, I am confused because it points out that one of them cannot boot into os9.

Zapping the pram...well, I have not had much luck with keyboard shortcuts and getting into the open firmware Command, Option, P, and R does nothing at boot. I guess I need to get a mac keyboard now.... Even ALT at boot gives no joy.

Stay tuned.

(Thanks for the help)

Beans
    Hidden!

Interesting - I see that one model has OSX preinstalled, and that one has a 32X combo drive, and the other a 24X superdrive. In any case, I'd burn install images at maybe 4X or lower, even with your new cdrom.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans

Well, I tried the 7.04, same thing happens. I try all of the options both on Live cd's and on the alt cd.

If I try to install I get "elf32 kernal loaded..." Loading ramdisk.....

Ramdisk loaded at 01900000, size 8409 kbytes
    Then I get no response, it is locked up tight. The screen stays on the white screen and I cant type.

If I choose check or some options it just goes to a black screen like it is going to sleep.

Beans

Still nothing, it just hangs at the ramdisk. I have tried serveral itterations of the OS in both live and alt Cd's. The ones that do anything at all will all lock up at the ram disk when I try the installers, and if I chose check it goes to a black screen and stops spinning the drive (goes to sleep?) Any opinion on what I should consider doing next outside of just throwing this imac away?

Could it be ram?

Beans
    Hidden!

It could be ram - how much is in your machine? If there seems to be some additional ram installed, is it up to Apple specs? Perhaps try removing that ram using only the original.
    Last edited by stream303; May 15th, 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm with stream303 on this one; how much RAM? and if additional RAM was added, try removing back to the original (although if this takes you back to 128 MB, other problems may arise).

Beans

Well, That may be trouble... All that I have in the machine is the original 256. I knew from the get go that I would need to use the ALT CD to get anywhere. I guess I need to find more ram, but 256 should let me get further into the CD, at least it has on PC's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by fxrocket View Post
    Well, That may be trouble... All that I have in the machine is the original 256. I knew from the get go that I would need to use the ALT CD to get anywhere. I guess I need to find more ram, but 256 should let me get further into the CD, at least it has on PC's.
    The information on updating to 8.04 indicates one needs to have a minimum of 384 mb RAM to run under Gnome or KDE. While I've run prior versions with less, it looks like to me that with all the new "stuff" in 8.04, the 384 figure might be accurate. I obviously don't know, but that's the opinion I've formed.
    Xubuntu would seem to be an option, but there's no PPC release that I've found yet. As indicated on another thread, I did a server install of 8.04 then added xubuntu-desktop to it to "try it out", and things went relatively well, but I abandoned the project after fighting sound problems, among other things. Good luck; I'm (unfortunately) out of here, and won't be back for a day or so.

Beans
    Hidden!

At this stage, maybe we can cut down the variables by doing just a server install. (without any major server software running). Afterwards, you can build it up and determine where to go from there.

Can you download the "server" install image of Hardy PPC, and get that running before tackling gui issues?

If that works, it is possible to do a "diy" installation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems

Where you could sudo apt-get install xorg, xterm, xdm, and a window manager - for now just LWM would be fine. Not that you'd probably want to keep it that way, but if we can't get this to work, then there are other issues...

Beans

Bahhh...Server puts it to sleep! ??? Screen goes black and I cant get it to wake up? At least it made it past the ram drive/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast