Thread: laptop mode?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

laptop mode?

I have read that laptop mode isn't enabled by default, if I have understand it correct will the battery last longer if you enabled it but what is the drawbacks?

I also tried to find some guides in how to use it and similar but have been unable to find and good so far. Also I have read that the best way to fix the Load_Cycle_Count is to use laptop mode but I never seen anything in how you do this.

Thanks in advanced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: laptop mode?

1. run this command

$ sudo gedit /etc/default/acpi-support

2. find the following statement and replace false with true, than save and exit

ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=false

3. run this command to activate laptop mode

$ sudo /etc/init.d/laptop-mode start

PS: laptop mode causes odd hangs on some machines
    Last edited by chunchengch; May 5th, 2008 at 04:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

"...the spin down time of the hard disk was limited to 10 minutes. Spinning up/down a normal desktop hard disk every 10 minutes wears it down within 6-8 months. "

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_HDD_spindown_small_server

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chunchengch View Post
    "...the spin down time of the hard disk was limited to 10 minutes. Spinning up/down a normal desktop hard disk every 10 minutes wears it down within 6-8 months. "

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_HDD_spindown_small_server
    That's a ... bad downside. If I had more money(and hard disks), maybe I'd use laptop mode. Still...I'd like to use Ubuntu during classes in lieu of Vista. Though I will have to live.

As an aside, how do you think Vista conserves power more efficiently than Ubuntu? At least in my case, Vista can last up to three hours. Linux is limited to about one and a half to two hours. Maybe I just need to play with settings more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

In the laptop mode config file, you can choose for it to not control the HD spindown time, if that is something you are worried about. The config file is actually very well documented and can be found at: /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf. The specific option you are looking for is "CONTROL_HD_TIMEOUT". Setting that variable to 0 should prevent laptop-mode from setting the spindown time of your disk.

Also, linux can do some pretty amazing power management (far beyond what laptop-mode offers by default) but, it's just harder to setup. Some good places to start are the powertop tool and www.lesswatts.org. To install powertop and run powertop you can do the following from a terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install powertop
    sudo powertop