Thread: PDA's-Palm or Windows Mobile?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

PDA's-Palm or Windows Mobile?

I would like to know if there is anyone who is using a PDA with Hardy and if so which one works? I currently own a Dell Axim X3 which is a windows mobile product and I cannot get it to sync with Evolution. I believe a Palm based PDA will sync easier but do not know which one will be the best (E2 or TX?). Thank you for any input regarding this issue. Also if anyone happens to know how to get a windows mobile product to sync with Evolution and can steer me to some relatively easy to use directions I would appreciate that as well.

Beans

Re: PDA's-Palm or Windows Mobile?

I'd be really interested in knowing the answer to this one too as my Windows mobile just got dropped down a flight of stairs.

Anyone have any recommendations for what to buy next that will sync with Ubuntu 8.04?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I too am in the market for both the wife and I and was wondering what people's experiences were so far?
    Ubuntu? Ibuntu.
    Dell Latitude E6510
    Intel Core2Quad 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 8800 GT, Gigabyte MOBO

Beans

I have the treo 650 and I'm in the process of syncing it. I've synced it once but I have no idea what I did and now it won't sink. I'll have time next week to play around with it.

Have you considered a linux based PDA? I think Sharp has them. I'm not sure how compatibale they will be with Ubuntu but I would be surprised if they weren't. I also read in the near future there will be Ubuntu Mobile based phones and pdas. Something to consider.

Beans
    Hidden!

Linux based PDA has no guarantee at all of being compatible with Ubuntu for syncing purposes. Only the kernel is linux, rest of the structure around could be very proprietary, and that is what matters. Check explicitly for linux sync support even if it is linux based.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well I tried a Blackberry,major pain to get set up for syncing, so I thought since my old Palm Tunsten E worked so well with my Kubuntu and K-Pilot that another Palm device would be a no brain-er. Wrong it's as big a pain as the Blackberry. I got a Palm Centro, K-Pilot crashes. However I can sync my Tungsten E with no problem.
    So I would say go for the Tungsten E.
    Oh of course the Centro and Tungsten work fine with XP, except my main OS has been Linux for about 6 years now so I guess if I want to use my new device I will need to export the date from my Kubuntu to XP so I can get it into the new device.
    And from what I saw from Googling this is a very weak area for Linux systems still. There's nothing simple in using PDA's with Linux. I remember that setting up my Tungsten took several days of experimenting also, but K-Pilot never crashed like it does with the Centro.
    That's more than .02 worth. Good luck and if you get something that works please post your experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am using a Palm TX with
    Hardy without any problems. I use the Gnome applet and Evolution. I cannot figure out how to add other software or update palm programs that are on the TX however.
    HLV

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Chek this out, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...lot/+bug/74703.
    Idont't use usb so I haven't tried it.
    I just use bluetooth transfer. Transfer prc to pilot and it's up and running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

While having no idea about Palm I've got some disappointing experiences with WM 2003. What I wanted to do is to transfer some files from an SD card pluged in an Ipaq 1930 to Jaunty via USB port. I followed threads like:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=90205
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=444387
    and a guide in:
    http://www.lvivier.info/SynceFS/.
    I managed to get them connected but the software could not access the card which contained most of my data. Opensync plugin for legacy devices like the one of mine is not available in Jaunty's repositaries. I used odccm and synce-serial to make a connection. I can ping from ubuntu to WM, load a coda module and mount the file system without explicit error. However, I cannot even use ls command to list files. It gets freezed and shows it cannot access the "Storage Card" which is a symbolic link of the card presented in WM file system. I stopped my experiment here not because of having got no idea to solve the problem but thinking further that even I could get files transfered they were garbage still in the eye of ubuntu. If you have a PDA or PPC running WM make sure you have Windows and Activesync. Some files like *.pxl need conversion before they can be used on a desktop. Also as cheap card readers are all around files that need no conversion can be transfered without painfully installation and configuration of programs (packages).

Beans

I think you could have better results using a newer version of WM
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas
    Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!