Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how to install Avast 4 for Ubuntu 8.04 (64-bit)

Beans

Re: how to install Avast 4 for Ubuntu 8.04 (64-bit)

Me too..can't find any shortcuts

Beans

thanks for this but one question dose it mean something is wrong when it closes out without warning while scanning and is there a way to fix it

i have a duel boot with windows vista and the window side has a virus im trying to find that keeps shutting off the explorer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sadly for the shortcut you have to use the full and rather complicated procedure in post #1. A workaround for klickers is to right-click on the applications button and edit the menu by adding the "avastgui" command into some submenu. The avast icon is found in /usr/lib/avast4workstation/share/avast/icons/avast-appicon.png
    or just choose one of the available ones shown if you click on the icon button. I cannot give you a more detailed description of the procedure with the exact name of the menues since I am running a German ubuntu installation. Make use of your brain Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Smile Re: how to install Avast 4 for Ubuntu 8.04 (64-bit)

Thanks, this has been very helpful
    The only problem that I encountered was that I wasn't able to create a launcher in the /Applications/Systemtools ... So I just created a shortcut on my Desktop.

edit: Thanks beneedict, its indeed a lot easier your way (for first timers like me)
    Last edited by StephSD3; October 7th, 2008 at 10:59 AM.

Beans

Wow... worked great.. Only had to change things a bit as I am not running the 64 version... Very easy to follow, which for a newbie to linux was a plus..

A big thank you...
    Rick,
    registered Linux user number 479504.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: how to install Avast 4 for Ubuntu 8.04 (64-bit)

I can confirm that works in 8.10 64bits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great tutorial and it worked flawlessly
    Free your Mind, Free your Soul. Use Open Source

http://hosting06.imagecross.com/imag...06/8448usa.gif

Beans

I'm new to Linux and was interested in trying Avast with 64-bit Kubuntu 9.04. Following the above instructions and installing the attached "deb" file seems to install the needed avast libraries, but not avast itself. Is there a missing step (such as an explicit install of the Avast4 "deb" downloaded to the desktop)? Or is that process supposed to occur as a result of installing the attached library? I will note that in addition to a OS version update, the Avast "deb" file has also been updated since this article was written.

If installing on 9.04 is too much to ask, do you think it's best to try to undo the effect of installing the authors attached libraries, or just let it go? (I backed up the OS before trying this).

Beans

Apparently I left out a step when I updated the guide. Sorry for the confusion. The guide has now been corrected to include the extra step. In order to complete the installation just type the following from the folder containing the avast deb package (the example below assumes it can be found in your Desktop folder).
    Code:
    cd /home/yourUserName/Desktop
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i avast4workstation_1.3.0-2_i386.deb

Beans

The revised instructions worked great!--Installed on 64-bit Kubuntu 9.04.

I had hoped to use Avast for realtime Email scanning, but this feature is not available in the free "home" edition (it's available in the server edition). I'm migrating from Thunderbird in Windows and have many mail filters, but I'm not sure they can be converted by the Kmail program (Kmail is attractive for its integration with clamav). I suppose AVG Antivirus might be an option (am using it in Windows, but haven't been too enthusiastic in its latest direction--it's seeming to become a resource-hog).

All the Best.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast