Thread: Why do they ship those networkmanagers after all?

Hybrid View

Beans

Why do they ship those networkmanagers after all?

I finally, thanks to the tutorials from this forum, made my wireless card work on Kubuntu 8.04. So thanks to you all.

Now...

I thought they included those network managers since 7.04. They are still buggy. No hard feelings, I can't do better since I cannot program. But they included KNetworkManager on already 3 versions: 7.04, 7.10 and now 8.04.

Why do they do this?

I gave my CD to a friend who finally wanted to try Kubuntu on his laptop (8.04). Network didn't work ---> erase.

My parents tried it also (not computer minded, typically Windows users) ---> Erase, because they can't connect to a wireless network.

People who first try (K)ubuntu or linux in general aren't suppose to experience such problems. The reaction I always get: "see, that free stuff is amateuristic, we'll stick to Microsoft Windows, that's a professional product".

I got rid of those managers: KWifimanager, KNetworkManager, WICD,... and set up a manual connection. The people who compose Ubuntu should do this too: because they cut into their own veins by including them.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Why do they ship those networkmanagers after all?

Sadly for some, a few wireless cards don't work out of the box. But to contrast your story, I have only had 1 problem with Knetworkmanager. I run Kubuntu on several boxes, and 3 laptops. Part of my job is wireless testing, and over the last 3 years, and a multitude of integrated and PCMCIA/miniPCI wireless cards, the only one that didn't work immediately was an Integrated broadcom card on an HP pavilion zx5000. This was before the broadcom driver was integrated in the mainline kernel.

Linux isn't for everyone, and Linux is not windows.

Now, if you are still having problems, perhaps posting a bug report would be more constructive.

I hope things work out for you and your family.

Best of Luck
    --Superb--

Beans

The most sadly is that my Ralink networkcard haved worked for years and stopt after installing 8.04. After installing 7.10 it works fine. Why do devloppers make this stupid mistake? My friends say to my that Linux is an operating system for unemployd nerds and say its better to stay by windows. Only when you have much time and less money, Linux can be your choice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by corneel View Post
    The most sadly is that my Ralink networkcard haved worked for years and stopt after installing 8.04. After installing 7.10 it works fine. Why do devloppers make this stupid mistake? My friends say to my that Linux is an operating system for unemployd nerds and say its better to stay by windows. Only when you have much time and less money, Linux can be your choice.
    Most people who say this haven't read the EULA from Windows. I want my software with as less limitations as possible.

But that's another discussion, the issue is that including buggy network tools isn't an expression of marketing genius...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wirelessmonkey View Post
    Sadly for some, a few wireless cards don't work out of the box. But to contrast your story, I have only had 1 problem with Knetworkmanager. I run Kubuntu on several boxes, and 3 laptops. Part of my job is wireless testing, and over the last 3 years, and a multitude of integrated and PCMCIA/miniPCI wireless cards, the only one that didn't work immediately was an Integrated broadcom card on an HP pavilion zx5000. This was before the broadcom driver was integrated in the mainline kernel.

Linux isn't for everyone, and Linux is not windows.

Now, if you are still having problems, perhaps posting a bug report would be more constructive.

I hope things work out for you and your family.

Best of Luck
    Well, for me it's easy: my desktop doesn't move, so a wireless connection can be setup manually.

Posting a bug report? My parents hardly know to switch on a computer. And to be honest, I also have no idea... Where and what kind of info...