Thread: A few questions about Wubi

Beans

A few questions about Wubi

Hello,
    I am very interested in trying out Wubi but I have a few questions about it.

First, can I use Wubi to install Ubuntu on a hard disk that does not have my boot.ini or my windows install on it? I am running a 3 disk RAID 5 and I am a little bit worried about installing Ubuntu on it via Wubi so I thought I could install it on my spare 300GB IDE drive instead. I'm pretty sure I can do this but I thought I'd play it safe and ask first.

Second can I use Wubi to install a Linux distro that is not Ubuntu? Say I wanted to install Slackware via Wubi is it possible or is Wubi specifically designed for Ubuntu?

Any input is appreciated.

*EDIT*
    Sorry, I didn't even read the Wiki before posing this. I only read the FAQ. I've found the answers I need. Could a mod please delete this thread?
    Last edited by M2k3; May 4th, 2008 at 05:09 AM. Reason: I didn't read the wiki

Beans

Re: A few questions about Wubi

to the first: i'm not sure what you're asking, but if you're wondering if you can put it as the sole OS on a blank hard disk, of course you can. just toss in the live disk and boot up the computer it should boot from the disk, which will have an install option. but this does not need Wubi, it'll install like any other OS.

to the second: no, Wubi can only be used to install Ubuntu. (it's technically called "(W)indows-based (Ub)untu (I)nstaller")

*edit- oops, didn't read ur edit first. But i don't feel a mod needs to take this thread down, seeing as others might ask the same question.
    Last edited by EpicDem; May 4th, 2008 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Didn't read

Beans

If your motherboard supports booting from a USB device, you could install ubuntu to the external drive, set your bios to boot from the usb device, and it should boot linux. So yes.

Beans

you cannot use wubi without windows. it is mainly used to get used to ubuntu. then you get rid of windows and wubi and everything and install normal ubuntu.