Thread: With ACPI enabled, no sound, with it disabled, certain things don't work

Beans

Question With ACPI enabled, no sound, with it disabled, certain things don't work

Hi,

With every Linux distribution I've tried, I always have to add 'acpi=off' to grub's menu.lst to get working sound. The downside to this is that stuff doesn't work correctly afterwards.

I noticed with pleasure that upon upgrading to Hardy, the Power Manager applet actually reported when my laptop was running on battery, instead of saying it was running on A/C Power like it usually does, regardless of whether or not it really is.

I also noticed that I had no sound, due to the kernel upgrade, which means I had to modify menu.lst like I usually do. After doing this and rebooting, I noticed that the Power Manager applet wasn't working correctly anymore. This lead me to believe that it relies on ACPI to work.

Is there a way to get my sound working without disabling ACPI, or something? Because although I don't necessarily need the Power Manager working right, it certainly is annoying, and there might be other issues which will be fixed if I can get things working with ACPI on.
    -Vertimyst

Beans

Re: With ACPI enabled, no sound, with it disabled, certain things don't work

post your hardware

lspci

Beans

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    0a:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
    0a:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    0a:04.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
    0a:04.3 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
    0a:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection (rev 02)
    There's the output.
    -Vertimyst

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

- Instead of disabling acpi completely, try disabling only parts of it. Instead of "acpi=off":

acpi=noirq

- or perhaps

pci=noacpi

Beans

Unhappy Re: With ACPI enabled, no sound, with it disabled, certain things don't work

Neither of those options fixed the Power Applet problem, and both disabled my sound. What is acpi for, anyway, and what is it?
    -Vertimyst

Beans

I'm having the same problems as you with every hardware part you listed exactly the same. You wouldn't happen to have a Toshiba laptop would it be a P105 . If so I think it is a DSDT problem. If you are using a toshiba laptop and the right model number you can find a fixed one at http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Toshiba+Satellite+P105
    But becareful. I haven't tried that though. Anyway how is it you turn off acpi I know on livecd its like f6 then you say acpi=off
    Ive been messing around with the /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Don't you put it in the # kopt=root=UUID=b6947baf-ad16-4704-aeb9-ab225c7d84df ro apci=off like that but acpi is still on?
    Here is how-to on inserting dsdt into kernel.
    How to Build a custom DSDT into the kernel
    ------------------------------------------
    Get original DSDT:
    # cp /proc/acpi/dsdt DSDT
    or
    # acpidump > acpidump.out
    $ acpixtract DSDT acpidump > DSDT

Disassemble it
    $ iasl -d DSDT
    Make your changes:
    $ vi DSDT.dsl
    Build it:
    $ iasl -tc DSDT.dsl
    Put it where the kernel build can include it:
    $ cp DSDT.hex $SRC/include/

Add this to the kernel .config:

CONFIG_STANDALONE=n
    CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT=y
    CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT_FILE="DSDT.hex"

Make the kernel and off you go!
    You should see in dmesg:
    Table [DSDT] replaced by host OS

Note that with
    CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
    then ASL stores to the special object "Debug" will
    come out in the dmesg. eg

Store("hello world!", Debug)
    Store(Local0, Debug)

[ACPI Debug] String: [0x0C] "hello world!"
    [ACPI Debug] Integer: 0x00000042

As of linux-2.6.23, "acpi_no_auto_ssdt" if available
    to prevent Linux from automatically loading all
    the SSDTs listed in the RSDT/XSDT. So with this option,
    the SSDTs can be included in the DSDT override
    to effectively create a DSDT+SSDT override.

Found off http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/p...es/README.ACPI
    Last edited by Lizard787; May 5th, 2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: DSDT how-to

Beans

I do have a Toshiba laptop, but it's a Toshiba Satellite Pro P100. Close enough though, but I dunno about modifying my kernel, any side effects?
    -Vertimyst

Beans

Well if you did before it boots up where you have 3 seconds you could click esc. And one of the modes should be recovery mode so you should still be ok . I would think but I would back-up data just incase. But I believe kernel and acpi are two different things? I think this: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems
    is more what you're looking for?
    However with ACPI you could kill your'e computer because it in some computers controls fans, thermal control, etc. So I would be very careful to make sure all fans are running and keeping things cool!

Beans

I'm pretty sure everything works fine, except for hibernating, etc. (which I think is separate, not really worried about that) and the Power Applet. I'll take a look at that link, though, thanks.
    -Vertimyst