Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy 8.04 & OSS4 (Alternative to ALSA)

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Hardy 8.04 & OSS4 (Alternative to ALSA)

Quote Originally Posted by pickboy87 View Post
    Awesome, I'll give it a try once I get home. And yeah, I was thinking the same thing about disabling the onboard sound in the BIOS. I used to use it in windows specifically for the mic, and my M-Audio for music but I really don't have any need for it now.

I really appreciate the help and you taking your time out to help answer my question. I'll edit this post once I try it, and if that still doesn't work, I'll PM you.

Edit: Alright, well I've disabled my onboard sound, and tried what you've said. As far as I can tell, the crackling is gone in the right speaker [I think it was the mixer causing the problem]. Tried osstest again and it gives me sound and it works properly, but I still have some minor issues (I don't think I have login sounds still - haven't rebooted though...). I figured out about Amarok giving me trouble (had been messing around with it and accidently selected some DSP for source [or something...], changed it back and it works again]. I still have trouble with flash audio, but I haven't followed the guide as far as that goes. I'll update this post later if I a) run into more troubles and b) so that I can explain further to people that may have run into similar problems.

Thanks once again for your help, its much appreciated.

Edit 2: Ugh, ran into a whole slew of errors now after reboot. Now I don't get any sound (it says it won't start OSS due to errors). I'm gonna just reformat and install Ubuntu again and start fresh. I've disabled the onboard and am gonna see if ALSA works (but I plan on using OSS again). Windows crapped out on me too for no apparent reason (said it was missing some file ndl something or other) - didn't even mess with Windows and it just decided not to work...God I love linux so much more

This is what I get when I try this:

Code:
    nathan@linux-desktop:~$ sudo soundon
    [sudo] password for nathan: 
    cat: /usr/lib/oss/version.dat: No such file or directory
    /usr/lib/oss/etc/devices.list: No such file or directory
    No /usr/lib/oss/etc/installed_drivers - cannot continue
    Hate to say this but it sounds to me like you may have hard disk problems if your Windows install wont boot and your linux install is now complaining about missing files and directories

Beans

Cool Re: Hardy 8.04 & OSS4 (Alternative to ALSA)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJS View Post
    Hate to say this but it sounds to me like you may have hard disk problems if your Windows install wont boot and your linux install is now complaining about missing files and directories
    I might, but I really don't think so. I researched the missing file a while back (it happened to me and my friend - just once each) and it seems to be a common but uncommon problem. I never really did find an answer for why it happens and no one really knew why either...

As for the missing files in Linux...while, I was dinking around with the sound, but all I did was exactly what Temujin said.

As of right now, I've reinstalled Linux, followed the guide again (wasn't getting sound out of ALSA) and deleted the vmixer off the list. I have yet to reboot, so I'll let you know what happens then shortly. osstest works, and removing the vmixer did help with the crackle. Let's hope no files go missing. Oh, and as far as I can tell, for some reason I'm still not getting sound when I login or logout. I can get sound out of audio devices (still not flash, but then again I haven't messed with it either) and movies.

/fingers crossed it doesn't f--- up again.

Edit: Alright, well I just rebooted and I'm still not getting sound out of the login and logout. I went to go test it under System -> Preferences -> Sound and still got no sound out of it (oh and had to switch all the sound outputs to OSS). I'm not that concerned about it, was just curious why no sound. Just played an mp3 and a movie and did get sound (one in Amarok and one is Totem). Gonna try the flash one in a bit.

Edit 2: Ok, so I've got 2 last problems. One, the sound mixer you suggested by doing ossxmix "works". It shows up correctly, but every time I try to adjust the volume, it shoots it right back to where it was before. So I can't tamper with the volume. The second problem I have is, I'm a little confused still on your flash tutorial. I got to step 2 (my file or directory was not found), but it says to do something to a file...which file and where do I find it?
    Last edited by pickboy87; May 5th, 2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Still works after reboot.

Beans
    Distro

Please help... Just installed OSS4 and after doing the patch steps on my 64bit Ubuntu I can't load the ossxmix app.

ossinfo returns the following:
    Version info: OSS 4.0 (b1015/200803240317) (0x00040003)
    Platform: Linux/x86_64 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 12:47:45 UTC 2008 (lintest)

Number of audio devices: 0
    Number of audio engines: 0
    Number of mixer devices: 0

Device objects
    0: osscore0 OSS core services
    1: ossusb0 USB audio core services
    2: vmix0 OSS transparent virtual mixer

Mixer devices

Audio devices

So not only won't the mixer load it does not see my X-Fi sound card.

How can I fix this? Thanks for any help.

RA

Beans

pickboy87, the command to edit the file is:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/lib/oss/lib/flashsupport.c
    I'm going to add that to the guide. Thanks for the feedback.

radamo, x-fi support is still in the beta phase. My suggestion would be to try the latest build of OSS 4.1 . A guide on that will be coming soon.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    radamo, x-fi support is still in the beta phase. My suggestion would be to try the latest build of OSS 4.1 . A guide on that will be coming soon.
    Okay, I understand that x-fi support is beta. So I have re-enabled my onboard sound which previously worked in both Alsa and OSS. I have removed OSS and reinstalled Alsa... Cannot get on board to work anymore. No audio devices seem to get recognized. appreciate the help.

RA

Beans

I have successfully installed OSSv4, but with an annoying problem. Every time sound starts I hear pops and clicks in one speaker, right speaker.
    I use QuodLibet as player and every time is loading a new song it clicks. Only Amarok can play a playlist without clicks, but if I dare to change the playing song it clicks again.
    I have an M-Audio Audiophille 2496, installed on Ubuntu 64bit 8.04 (installed on windows partition with wubi). I don't use vmix.
    Today I plan to install from source oss-v4.1-build080423-src-gpl.tar.bz2 and if that doesn't work I'm out of ideas.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Thank you

Beans

Prerequisite Packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -y install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential gawk libtool binutils libgtk2.0-dev linux-sound-base mercurial libesd0 libssl0.9.8 libssl-dev
    If you want system sounds:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -y install esound esound-clients esound-common libesd0-dev
    Obtaining and building OSS4.1 beta
    Code:
    cd /usr/src
    sudo hg clone http://mercurial.opensound.com/ oss-devel
    cd ~/
    mkdir oss41build
    cd oss41build/
    sudo sh /usr/src/oss-devel/configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; August 24th, 2008 at 07:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

radamo,

Thank you for your patience. Below is the procedure I used to install OSS 4.1 from the mercurial repo. If your system complains about ALSA still running, then I recommend doing this procedure from 'recovery mode'.

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
    sudo apt-get -y remove alsa-oss oss-compat alsa-base libesd-alsa0

sudo apt-get -y install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential gawk libtool libgtk2.0-dev libesd0 wget linux-sound-base gcc-multilib libesd0-dev mercurial libssl0.9.8 libssl-dev
    cd /usr/src
    sudo hg clone http://mercurial.opensound.com/ oss-devel
    cd ~/
    mkdir oss41build
    cd oss41build/
    sudo sh /usr/src/oss-devel/configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    Are you thinking that I need 4.1 just to get my onboard working or is this to get OSS working with my X-fi. At this point I am ok getting my on board working again... even with Alsa which worked very well... The only reason I went through all this and now have no sound is to try to take advantage of my sound card.

Thanks,
    RA

Beans

Are you thinking that I need 4.1 just to get my onboard working or is this to get OSS working with my X-fi.
    Both.

Beans
    Distro

Both.
    radamo@lintest:/usr/src$ sudo hg clone http://mercurial.opensound.com/ oss-devel
    sudo: hg: command not found

I get up to the step above... Is there a typo in the above? I have never seen hg as a command?
    Thanks,
    RA

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast