Thread: problems with audio in gentoo

problems with audio in gentoo

Hi, i am a gentoo user i recently bought the Gazv5, i installed gentoo, almost everything works except for the audio. I compiled the alsa support in the kernel, the systems seems to recognize the card when i run alsaconf, then i use alsamixer to set the volume to the top.When i run amarok or any other program that uses the sound card, it doesnt complain about the card, they just start playing but i can hear any noise.

I am using kernel 2.6.24, i have seen that the system76 driver has something to do with the audio.
    Do you have any suggestions, should i use the alsadriver that dont come with the kernel.

Beans

Re: problems with audio in gentoo

Uh, this is a Ubuntu distro support forum...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jdc18 View Post
    Hi, i am a gentoo user i recently bought the Gazv5, i installed gentoo, almost everything works except for the audio. I compiled the alsa support in the kernel, the systems seems to recognize the card when i run alsaconf, then i use alsamixer to set the volume to the top.When i run amarok or any other program that uses the sound card, it doesnt complain about the card, they just start playing but i can hear any noise.

I am using kernel 2.6.24, i have seen that the system76 driver has something to do with the audio.
    Do you have any suggestions, should i use the alsadriver that dont come with the kernel.
    The sysytem76 driver package was designed for the Debian based distro, Ubuntu. So it will be of little help to you as this is not what the systems were pre-installed with. Your best best to be honest, it to try the Gentoo forums as they will better equipped to help I suspect. Good luck!

I know this is a ubuntu support forum but i was hopping to get help in any direction. It doesnt matter, i finally manage to get all my hardware working, even the audio.

I am going to write a howto soon, to help any others who dont want to use ubuntu,(linux is a matter of choise isn it?) althought this forum was really helpfull. I installed the latest alsa drivers (not the ones from the kernel) and they work really well.