Thread: Session Login

Beans

Session Login

Before I upgraded to 8.04 on booting up I would get a Options screen that would prompt me to select a session. Among others were Gnome and KDE4. I would select one or the other and then enter my user name and password and either KDE4 or Gnome would appear on my desktop.
    Since the upgrade I no longer get the Options portion of the login screen. I only get Gnome.
    What steps do I need to do the get back to KDE4?

Beans

Re: Session Login

Which login screen are you getting, the gdm one or the kdm one? Do you not have the little box or whatever it is that allows you to select a session, or is it just that you aren't prompted every time?
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

I do not get the second litle box that requests the session I want to use. All I am seeing is a large bos looking for User and then Password.
    Under Gutsy after installing KDE4 I was asked which session I wanted. Switching between the two allowed me to learn a bit more about each.
    I am a really new U(K)buntu user.
    Thanks

Beans

Which does your login screen look more like, this or this or this?
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

I get none of the login screens shown.
    The fist one is the closest to what I have.
    Not much help I guess.
    It starts out with what looks like a Kubuntu screen and then when I log in it automatically comes up Gnome.
    I just want what I had before. The ability to chose.

Thanks

Beans

Do you have the options in the bottom left, like there?

If not, you can try reinstalling gdm
    Code:
    sudo apt-get reinstall gdm --purge
    (I think that's correct, just off the top of my head)