Re: Some Partitions not mounting on startup

mount: unknown filesystem type 'defaults'

Thanks

Beans

I'm no expert, but I used the NTFS Configuration Tool (Applications>Add/Remove>System Tools>NTFS Configuration Tool, will install to Applications>System Tools>NTFS Configuration Tool). After using this utility to specify which partitions to mount on startup, they are mounted automatically on startup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You did not follow up on the advise of didac. DaddyX3 made a slight mistake in proposing the changes to your /etc/fstab. didac corrected this and proposed to add some more options.

In my opinion, there is no need for the gid and umask options. I support the suggestion to change "2" to "0", though: if you must use ntfs, you should also have MS Windows and perform the disk checking there.

If you want write support, you must use the ntfs-3g driver (the uid option does not serve that purpose). Thus, the relevant lines might be changed to

Code:
    /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
    Apply the changes, then execute "mount -a" to check if it is all OK (you can also reboot if you prefer). If the command does not produce an error, you should be able to navigate to the drives through the /media directory. Moreover, an icon will appear on your desktop because you mounted under /media.

As a further step, you might follow the advice of didac to mount using the UUID because on some systems, the device names might change between different reboots.

Beans

Well, at least you guys came in to give a hand I don't even have a ntfs drive anymore Haven't had to deal with Windows in quite a while. I will remember the whole "ntfs-3g" thing.

-b0ng0, I'm very sorry I got you mixed up on the order of things in your fstab. It should have been listed as drive type first then defaults. Like vanadium has said it should be listed as;
    Code:
    /dev/sda1  /media/sda1  ntfs-3g defaults 0  0#or 2 if you want it checked
    /dev/sda2  /media/sda2  ntfs-3g  defaults  0  0
    --once again, sorry for the confusion. And thanks for clearing it up vanadium.
    Last edited by DaddyX3; May 7th, 2008 at 03:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12