Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless will access local network but not internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Wireless will access local network but not internet.

I never installed any firewall programs so that shouldn't be an issue. The output from "sudo iptables -n -L" is as follows:
    Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The only other thing I can think of is filtering at the router itself. Going back over the previous posts, I noticed that you have 192.168.1.101 address when using linux, and a 192.168.1.102 address when in Windows. Is there anything in the router configuration which would handle traffic differently between those 2 ip addresses?

Is the linux ip address also assigned by dhcp? I have seen some instances where a home router would not accept traffic from a static ip when that ip was not assigned by the router itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The .102 address came from another machine on my network. I was trying the commands you asked for on my linux laptop (the .101 machine) but then having to copy/paste the results to the .102 machine via my local network so that I could post them on the net. When I ran that ipconfig /all it was on the Windows machine (the .102) which was not the linux laptop. I just did that to show that the nameserver ip's were the same. Sorry for the confusion there. When I reboot the laptop from Linux to Windows it does still carry the .101 address and the laptop works on the net when it's in Windows. The router does assign IP's via DHCP in both Windows and Linux.

Beans
    Distro

I'm pretty much out of ideas then.

You could try some outbound pings with increasing packet sizes, to see if there is some kind of MTU issue.

Code:
    ping -c 4 -s 500 ping.symantec.com
    ping -c 4 -s 1000 ping.symantec.com
    ping -c 4 -s 2000 ping.symantec.com
    ...and so forth. After that, I have no clue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It's working! I found out this morning from my wife that we had some brief power outages between the time it last worked and when it stopped working. Apparently the router was down for a short period of time and then came back up when the power came back on. For whatever reason when the router re-powered it did something to block this machine on linux. When this machine or any of the others were on Windows they were working fine. I did a power off/power on on the router this morning and when it came back online everything worked. This was not a Linux problem at all but rather a quirk in my router. Thanks for all your assistance Monicker, I really appreciate it!!

Beans
    Distro

Interesting. Glad its working, but it still seems odd that it only affected linux. I had thought briefly about suggesting a reset of the router, but dismissed the idea since you said XP had no problems with network connectivity.

Oh well, as long as its up now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

That threw me too. I would think at that level of connectivity it would all be pretty much the same whether Windows or Linux but I had 3 other machines on the network, all running Windows, with no connectivity issues during this period. At any rate, I acquired an old burned out APC UPS this weekend via the dumpster that I am currently rebuilding. As soon as I have it up it will be going on that router.
    Thanks again for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It looks like you have both IP networking and DNS resolution, which makes me wonder if something has gone haywire in the Firefox config and set up a non-existent proxy server. You might check that.

As a cross-check on the networking, have you tried another web browser, such as konqueror (sudo apt-get install konqueror). For that matter, does installing or updating software work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

lemming
    It's working now, see the post above. It turned out to be some quirk in the router due to the router going down in a power outage. When the router came back up it allowed Windows to connect to the internet but not Linux. Very strange but a power off/power on reset on the router fixed the issue.
    Thanks for your response!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12