Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI Restricted Drivers not Working Even Though Enabled (Hardy)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: ATI Restricted Drivers not Working Even Though Enabled (Hardy)?

I have fixed my problem !

I ran across this site : http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Tro...nd_SIDEPORT.29

After reducing the AGP Aperture, still had the same problem. So I tried the opposite, and increased it to 512. FIXED

Thd.
    Woof !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Alright. I've fixed it sort of. The ATI website recommended removing MESA by uninstalling xserver-xgl. They warned that doing so could mess up compiz but it didn't for me. Removing this package fixed all of the problems I listed in the original post.

The only problem with in-game video performance now is flickering, which I believe I read is caused by a conflict with compiz (I'll have to investigate that later).

The only problem now is that whenever I try to play back video all I get is a black screen plus the proper audio. I attempted to fix this by going to preferences->main menu and enabling "multimedia system selector." I then went into multimedia system selector, clicked on the "video" tab, and then selected "X Windows System (no xv)." Doing this allows me to play back video but only in Totem (i.e., not VLC). I'm going to try to find a solution to this problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I know the black screen during video playback is a fairly common issue.
    Et tu wireless?

Beans
    Distro

Thirddeep: glad you got everything worked out!
    Et tu wireless?

Beans
    Distro

Alright. After much tinkering here's where I'm at: with xserver-xgl uninstalled, compiz works flawlessly; there's no system sluggishness; but videos don't really play, most of the time I get a black screen when attempting to play video files, and the DVD playback is so slow as to be useless. Also, 3d games are rendered almost unplayable by the compiz conflict flickering effect.

When I disable compiz by switching to no desktop effects I can play some videos without the flicker effect and all of my 3d intensive games work fine with no flickering.

Thus, the bottom line is this: to play games I have to disable compiz. DVD playback doesn't work no matter what, and I am still plagued by the black screen problem.

If anyone finds magic solutions to these problems let me know. Also, I will update this thread if I find any solutions.
    Et tu wireless?

Beans

Not the most useful input, but if you have an older card that has 3d support from the open source ati driver included by default in Hardy, give it a shot.

I dropped a bit of 3d framerate but I have fully working Compiz with non flicker windowed video/3d.

Unfortunately if you have a newer card you may be stuck with the restricted driver.

Beans
    Distro

Interesting idea stOnedpenguin. How do I go about doing that? Just uncheck the ATI restricted driver in system->administration->hardware drivers?
    Et tu wireless?

Beans

I'd imagine that should work, if not then you may have to manually uninstall the ATi fglrx drivers, I just skipped them entirely though since I carried out a fresh install once Hardy hit release.

Beans
    Distro

What graphics card do you have?
    Et tu wireless?

Beans

Still running my crusty old X800XTPE, serves me well enough for Compiz and the odd game on Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Alright I've fixed the remaining problems. Specifically, movie files now playback as they should. To fix this problem, I just installed this package via synaptic:

ubuntu-restricted-extras

DVD playback now works normally as well, after following the instructions on this useful thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4615284

Finally, to switch rapidly between compiz and metacity (because, for example, compiz conflicts with a lot of 3d games), I use fusion-icon (available via synaptic).

Thanks for everyone's help!
    Et tu wireless?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12