Thread: ways to make hardy faster

Beans

ways to make hardy faster

I upgraded my laptop from gutsy to hardy about a month before, and also updating it regularly. I always eagerly expect that the updates will get me back the stability and performance that i had on gutsy, but none of them seem to. I find vista booting faster in my computer than ubuntu gutsy. What could be the problem? Is there any tweaking I can make to make it boot faster? Is this a problem since I made an upgrade and not clean install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ways to make hardy faster

probably too many services being loaded and start ups when you begin a session. Why don't you find out which ones you don't need and which ones you want to start up only when you need them.

I think if you search something like improve boot speed on the forums you should get plenty of guides on concepts behind improving the boot speed and maybe even some how to's.

Beans

ya.... but I find this problem only after upgrading to hardy.... I tried finding, dint get much... can u put up some links for me?

Rui Pais is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Although very out dated this thread still contains a lot of useful information.
    The basic way of turn things on/off it's still a correct one:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491

good luck

Another good app for check boot time stoppers it's bootchart (install with apt-get). It generates graph chart of you boot processes. Very helpful.

hth

Beans

Thank you.... I'll try them and get back.........

Beans

to speed-up browser..(ff) put about:conf in address bar and then 'IPV6' in filter search. click to change to 'true'.. Also for a fire fox addon, get 'adblock +'
    "it crashed?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

about:conf won't do anything, I think you meant to say:

about:config

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You should try a fresh install of HH to clear up any problems you are having after an upgrade. I find that a from-scratch install is signifacantly faster than an upgrade. Perhaps that is just my experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

sub 30second boot times should be normal with a Hardy clean intall (without tweaking). This is on an older machine... about 4 years old. I have no idea what the fastest boot times can be on newer systems, but boot time can be majorly lowered by managing the services that start on boot. If you don't use it , dont load it.