Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xonar DX support?

Beans

Xonar DX support?

How's the Xonar DX (Not D2X) working on a fresh 8.04 install?
    Does it work? If not, does it work if you update ALSA?

Beans

Re: Xonar DX support?

Looks like all of the Xonar cards were [hardware] feature-complete in ALSA as of 04-15-2008, so you should be all set. I am planning on replacing my X-Fi with one of these as soon as next week.

Beans

let us know how it goes.
    i'm not risking buying one until someone confirms it works flawlessly in 8.04 (preferably with no recompiling ALSA 1.0.16)
    Thinkpad T400 | 14.1" LED Screen | Core 2 Duo T9400 | 3GB DDR3 | 320GB WD HD | intel 5300 | ATI 3470 & Intel 4500 GFX
    i7 920 | ASUS P6T DLX | 6GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 260 (216)

Beans

I bought one two weeks ago. Could not get it to work in Ubuntu 8.04. If someone can I'd like to know how also. In the meantime, it works wonderfully in XP and my XFI is enjoying its place in a landfill somewhere.

Edit: didnt read the above post totally, I guess I'll have to try to update alsa, but it doesnt not work on a fresh install.
    Last edited by symbiont; May 13th, 2008 at 09:30 PM.

Beans

Doesn't work on fresh install for sure.

I am using the beta driver found in my previous link (4/15/2008 one) and following the directions here , but get this error at "make":

xxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-20080415# make
    if [ ! -d include/sound -a ! -L include/sound ]; then \
    ln -sf ../alsa-kernel/include include/sound ; \
    fi
    cp -puvf include/version.h include/sound/version.h
    `include/version.h' -> `include/sound/version.h'
    make dep
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-20080415'
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-20080415/acore'
    copying file alsa-kernel/core/info.c
    /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-20080415/utils/patch-alsa: 24: patch: not found
    make[2]: *** [info.c] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-20080415/acore'
    make[1]: *** [dep] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-20080415'
    make: *** [include/sndversions.h] Error 2
    I am pretty much a newb, so does anyone have any ideas there? Could it be a kernel problem, it says in the SUPPORTED_KERNELS file (when you unzip the drivers) that it has only been tested on vanilla 2.6.23 or earlier? I will try compiling a new 2.6.23 kernel tomorrow and report back unless anyone has a better idea...

Thanks for any help

Beans

I can confirm that the Xonar DX does NOT WORK.

It's non-functional using every method described in the "comprehensive sound problems guide". This includes compiling the latest alsa drivers from the alsa site.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ehensive+sound

All modules compile cleanly and the card is seen using lspci. The module loads, but no dice.

Beans

Has anyone been able to get it to work in Ubuntu? I have it working perfectly fine in Gentoo, but been wanting to switch over to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have a D2 (not D2X but there shouldn't be any difference). Analogue outputs work but the SPDIF doesn't.
    Using ALSA 1.0.16/Mythbuntu 8.04 digital always shows in 'aplay -l' and sometimes in 'aplay -L' but the optical output never switches on.
    I tried install ALSA 1.0.17rc3 but it didn't compile properly.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up isn't

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orlfman View Post
    Has anyone been able to get it to work in Ubuntu? I have it working perfectly fine in Gentoo, but been wanting to switch over to Ubuntu.
    Sorry for such a long delay, but I finally upgraded my kernel today from 2.6.25.4 to 2.6.26.3, and my DX now works perfectly on the analog outputs (without anything special, just popped in the new kernel and !! it sounds great).

I sounds great compared to the integrated audio I was using while being too lazy to upgrade kernels. I moved to this card from an X-Fi Platinum, but it's honestly been ~8 months since I've used the X-Fi and Windows, so its hard to compare. I can say with 100% certainty it sounds 100x better than the X-Fi on the original beta 64-bit drivers (100x easier to set up too now that ALSA supports it). The bass is unbelievable on these, though. I remember the X-Fi first blowing me away due to how crisp it was, but I don't think the X-Fi sounded this good on the lows (I don't really listen to rap, so I'm talking about big thumps, but saying that you can really hear the bass from this card).

[I am using a set of Logitech X-2300s with these]

If anyone has questions, let me know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by live2sk8 View Post
    Sorry for such a long delay, but I finally upgraded my kernel today from 2.6.25.4 to 2.6.26.3, and my DX now works perfectly on the analog outputs (without anything special, just popped in the new kernel and !! it sounds great).

I sounds great compared to the integrated audio I was using while being too lazy to upgrade kernels. I moved to this card from an X-Fi Platinum, but it's honestly been ~8 months since I've used the X-Fi and Windows, so its hard to compare. I can say with 100% certainty it sounds 100x better than the X-Fi on the original beta 64-bit drivers (100x easier to set up too now that ALSA supports it). The bass is unbelievable on these, though. I remember the X-Fi first blowing me away due to how crisp it was, but I don't think the X-Fi sounded this good on the lows (I don't really listen to rap, so I'm talking about big thumps, but saying that you can really hear the bass from this card).

[I am using a set of Logitech X-2300s with these]

If anyone has questions, let me know.
    This was me, didn't realize I had more than one account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast