Thread: which version of UBUNTU for Dell Latitude D830?

Beans

Question which version of UBUNTU for Dell Latitude D830?

I have a DELL Latitude D830 with core 2 duo, 2GB ram. I don't know which version of UBUNTU I can install of the below? Can someone please guide me?

Desktop Edition, for almost all PCs, including x86-based systems like Intel Pentium and AMD Athlon. Choose this if you are unsure.

64-bit Desktop Edition, for computers based on the AMD64 or Intel64 architectures (e.g., AMD Athlon 64, and Intel Core 2).

Beans

Re: which version of UBUNTU for Dell Latitude D830?

I have the same configuration, the only version works with my notebook was Ubuntu 5.1 , i face driver problems with 6.01, 7, and now 8.04. i tried other Linux OS (redhat, Fedora, Mandriva, Debian!!!) and it works fine.

I recommand for Ubuntu developers to do some things about it. I know nVidia are not supporting open source Drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would install the first one, i386 (Desktop edition)
    64bit version will give you more pain in the %%%%.

The best you can do is to download the desktop edition and test in as live cd without installing it and check if all your hardware is recognized, specially sound and video drivers. I have a d620 and everything worked out of box

Beans

I am currently using Desktop Edition, x86, on a D830 with great success.

There were some initial troubles mostly revolving around the NVidia driver...followed advice on this forum to use EnvyNG to grab the latest, then used compiz-git to grab the new Compiz Fusion. Performance is now ridiculously good and this laptop has become a showpiece.

Beans

what did you used to solve the Video issue Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.

Beans

Exclamation Re: which version of UBUNTU for Dell Latitude D830?

Can you please eloborate how you got the video drivers for Nvidia to work. Also I have the broadcom network card which is again not been recognised. Can someone please explain indepth how to go about?

Thanks......

Beans
    Distro

I also have a Dell Latitude D830, and am having problems with my nvidia drivers. I was using ubuntu 7.10 and all was working, but now whenever I attempt to enable the drivers, either by the Hardware Drivers, or envy, when I reboot, all I get is a white screen with some colored lines, does anyone have the solution to this issue, I've read people fixing the nvidia drivers but i cant figure out how and can't seem to find any threads with the answer.
    Please, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

This guide of mine *may* be of some assistance for the d830.
    http://members.cox.net/tonyt/d830

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by softwsolu1 View Post
    I am currently using Desktop Edition, x86, on a D830 with great success.

There were some initial troubles mostly revolving around the NVidia driver...followed advice on this forum to use EnvyNG to grab the latest, then used compiz-git to grab the new Compiz Fusion. Performance is now ridiculously good and this laptop has become a showpiece.
    I'm curious as to how you got the nvidia drivers working, i have the same laptop and everytime I use envyng, when i reboot I get a blank screen. Can you let us know what you ddid to fix the problems you got? Please?

Beans

Angry Re: which version of UBUNTU for Dell Latitude D830?

Will I have to be stuck with this for good or can someone please help me. Please consider this as DISTRESS CALL & help me out. I am unable to configure the network with the proxy settings.

Also I need help to configure my network settings too...

Please please HELP....