Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't change photo import program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Can't change photo import program

I am using Hardy, F-spot is the default photo import program. When i insert my SD card into my usb reader f-spot automatically opens. I would like to change/disable the photo import program. Normally i would just go to preferences -> Removable drives and media and uncheck digital camera or change the command. However, i have tried both and neither has any effect. I cannot find in the gconf-editor where gnome is looking for the fspot import program. i have tried changing settings and rebooting. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    if ignorance is bliss, where are all the happy people
    Jeremy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't change photo import program

I have a similar issue. I would like to change the default import programme to gThumb, but I do not have clude what the import command is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by OldGrey View Post
    I have a similar issue. I would like to change the default import programme to gThumb, but I do not have clude what the import command is.
    I had the same problem, but luckily my laptop still runs gutsy so I managed to copy the g-thumb command to my hardy desktop.
    Code:
    gnome-volume-manager-gthumb %h

Beans
    Distro

I changed that command and it does nothing when i insert my sd card. I ended up removing f-spot altogether and have no import program which works fine for me but i am curious why my changes to the removable drives and media have no effect.
    Jeremy

Beans

It's simple.
    1. sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gthumb.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/gthumb.desktop
    2. sudo gedit ~/.local/share/applications/gthumb.desktop
    3. change in line 138 Exec=gthumb to Exec=gthumb --import-photo
    4. In Nautilus go to Edit>Preferences> and choose gthumb... that's all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You could do all that, OR you could just open a nautilus window, go to Edit > Preferences, go to the "Media" tab, and change the "Photos" item.

I'm not sure why in Hardy they separated Removable Drives & Media and hid the most useful options away in a nautilus preferences window, but they did.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks to you both for the posts, i've tried it both ways but in my nautilus preferences after photos it says no programs found. Just for fun i changed line 138 in the /usr path but it yeilds the same result.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeremy

Beans

@empthollow - i don't remember... but i think that you have to change "run" permissions for ~/.local/share/applications/gthumb.desktop...
    Quote Originally Posted by strabes
    open a nautilus window, go to Edit > Preferences, go to the "Media" tab, and change the "Photos" item.
    In my HH in that place i couldn't change to any else program than f-spot. So i have to find any other solutions.

(uf... jak to dziwnie jak człowiek nie używa przez jakiś czas angielskiego a nagle musi w nim pisać...

Sorry, but my English is not so good...)

//edit

Oh! I also change in sudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list in this part:
    x-content/image-dcf
    x-content/image-picturecd

from f-spot to gthumb.

//edit 2

i found this - that's explain all
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:H...u_insert_a_DVD
    (ther is vlc.... but you can use this instruction to change from f-spot to gthumb...)
    Last edited by tomasiek; May 19th, 2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: found something

Beans
    Distro

great link, thanks to everyone. Here is the process i used to make it all work.

Code:
    cp /usr/share/applications/gthumb-import.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/gthumb.desktop
    Code:
    2. gedit ~/.local/share/applications/gthumb-import.desktop
    Code:
    3. change in line 138 Exec=gthumb to Exec=gthumb --import-photo
    Code:
    4. gedit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
    5. Changed x-content/image-dcf line to look like so:
    Code:
    x-content/image-dcf=gthumb-import.desktop;f-spot-import.desktop;
    6. Opened nautilus and went to Edit > Preferences, go to the "Media" tab, and change the "Photos" item to gthumb image viewer.

Gnome now uses gthumb to import photos instead of f-spot. I think gnome has some work to do here. I don't mind editing files but it seems like the general user would benefit from a more user friendly way to change their import program.

Thanks again to all of you.
    Jeremy

Beans

It works for me with

cp /usr/share/applications/gthumb.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/gthumb-import.desktop
    instead of
    cp /usr/share/applications/gthumb-import.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/gthumb.desktop

and
    change in line 138 Exec=gthumb to Exec=gthumb --import-photos
    instead of
    change in line 138 Exec=gthumb to Exec=gthumb --import-photo

Thanks a lot anyway.
    I'm going to try with digiKam now.

Edit : It doesn't work with digiKam. I don't understand why.

Here is what I did :
    Code:
    cp /usr/share/applications/kde/digikam.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/digikam-import.desktop
    Code:
    gedit ~/.local/share/applications/digikam-import.desktop
    changed "Exec=digikam -caption "%c" %i %m" to "Exec=digikam --detect-camera"

Code:
    gedit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
    and added "digikam-import.desktop;" at the end of this line : "x-content/image-dcf=gthumb-import.desktop;f-spot-import.desktop;"

Then I chose digiKam as default application in Nautilus.

This creates a second launcher for digiKam in the menu with the command "digikam --detect-camera" and it works very well, but when I plug in a sd card or when I right clic on the sd card icon on the desktop and choose digiKam nothing happens.

Any idea?

Edit2 :For Gthumb try "Exec=gnome-volume-manager-gthumb" if you only want to launch the import manager and not the whole application.

Edit3 : Digikam works with this line :"Exec=digikam --download-from %m" (instead of "Exec=digikam --detect-camera").
    Last edited by Ti-nérisson; September 4th, 2008 at 09:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast