Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy Heron Freezes on my laptop :(

Beans

Link with possible fix & workaround that worked for me

I've had the exact same issue with a new 8.04 install on a USB memory stick, running on a Thinkpad T60.

I reinstalled multiple times, and tried a bunch of different "fixes", most of whiched involved changing driver or xorg settings, but none of it worked. I finally stumbled on this, after I noticed that I had the same log output in /var/log/dmesg as described in this thread-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ng/+bug/218434

Bottom line is, for me at least, the problem has been that gnome-keyring-daemon is crashing on login. I haven't yet gotten around to trying the fix for that they describe there, but so far the workaround works for me!

good luck,
    aJ
    Last edited by ajjain; May 6th, 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Beans

Re: Hardy Heron Freezes on my laptop :(

Hi
    My acer TravelMate220 is doing something similar.
    I can login, launch pidgin and that synergy gui, but after about 30-40sec the laptop freezes. Unresponsive, clock frozen and nothing working except rebooting, followed by the same thing again.
    Not really helpful I know, but thought I'd post anyway.

I just upgraded and after the reboot, this happened. I haven't tried fixing it yet, as I'm not sure the fixes apply to me.

Keba

Beans

Took me forever to get my gateway(ati x600) sorted out with similar problems under Gutsy. Once I realized it was NOAPM to cure display issues, all was fine until the upgrade to Hardy Heron. now when the screensaver kicks in - I loose ability to use X and must hard -reboot.

Look at boot options like NOAPIC, NOAPM, and the likes...

Beans

Having the same problem as elgaelo, using Toshiba M30X with ATI Radeon Mobility M10.

Only way I can use Hardy is if I keep an external usb mouse plugged in. Have tried numerous fixes to allow just the touchpad but all to no avail.

Beans

Hi,
    I won't help, but I need help also :S
    I have exactly the same probleme than elgaelo and porksome. ie: using my touchpad makes Hardy freeze if no external mouse is connected... really strange!
    I have an ATI9700 and synaptic touchpad.

my /etc/X11/xorg.conf is the same than elgaelo for the touchpad part.

thanks!

Beans

Im having this trouble with my acer aspire 2020 laptop with it randomly freezing.

I can boot from CD in safe graphics mode but that just means am using VESA drivers and cannot use ati drivers as it locks up again

Beans

Hardy Heron also locks on my ACER TravelMate 8006LMi ATI Mobility Radeon 9600. Had to install using Safe Graphics Mode. Works well using VESA driver, but ati/radeon or fglrx makes the laptop freeze either at or just after login screen. 7.10 worked fine with radeon driver and compiz. Please help!
    Thanks, phil.

Beans

OK. Have done some more work on this (and a lot of reboots!!!!!).

Scenarios:
    Radeon (free driver)
    - No external mouse, laptop hardlocks when logging in (effects on) or running a 3d app (effects off)
    - External mouse, everything works fine
    - No external mouse, "acpi=off" as kernel option, no hardlocks but no battery reported (effectively useless!)

Fglrx (ATI prop driver)
    - No external mouse, laptop hardlocks when logging in (effects on) or running a 3d app (effects off)
    - External mouse, everything works fine
    - No external mouse, "acpi=off" as kernel option, no hardlocks but no battery reported (effectively useless!)

Running ubuntu hardy on Toshiba M30X-129, ATI Mobility 9600 M10, xorg the same as elgaelo, memory upgraded to 2GB.

Not been able to use 3d without an external mouse is a nightmare. Effects aside, no gaming or google earth is possible.

Can post error logs if needed but will need to know which ones are useful.

Beans

Thanks for the insight, porksome.

I read your post and tried again but with an external mouse plugged in. Everything works perfectly - 3d, compiz - using envy and fglrx. Very strange. It's got me baffled, but I'm now confident of a workaround/fix for this.

Could it be a device conflict?

Thanks
    Phil

Beans

bumping in hope of a fix

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast