Thread: Dual boot backups

Beans

Dual boot backups

I orderd an HP laptop with a 250GB drive and I have a Maxtor OneTouch 500GB USB/Firewire drive I'd like to use for backups. I plan to split the laptop drive in half between Uuntu (ext3) and Vista (ntfs). I'm looking for help with backup tools and methods.

I was planning to do full partition backups of Ubuntu and Vista using Partimage but Partimage only has experimental support for ntfs. The SafetyDrill software that came with the Maxtor drive says it is only for use with Windows and Mac, which is weird because it's really just a version of Knoppix.

Is there one tool I can use to create partition backups of both ntfs and ext3? Will I need to split the Maxtor drive into two partitions to support two different file systems? Is there something I'm overlooking? Also, I'd prefer a free software solution.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Scott

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Dual boot backups

I'm looking for the same thing. Any luck?
    Pentium 955EE~ASUS P5WD2-E Premium~ATI X1800XL~Soundblaster X-Fi~4GB Patriat Extreme DDR2 PC2-6400~Plextor 755SA~WD Raptor 74GB SATA(64 bit UE1.8 )~WD Caviar 320GB SATA2(32 bit UE1.7)~Maxtor 30GB PATA(XP)~Maxtor 40GB PATA(64 bit XP)~630W PS