Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shopping time! Which laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Shopping time! Which laptop?

Thanks zvbxrpl, damn, should've got one whilst over in Boston last month. The Tiny laptop im using has lasted, mainly because it isnt really portable, so hasnt suffered any knocks. Its on AC only as it has a dead battery. Yep, i too have no ethernet port, had to get a USB belkin adaptor for CAT5.

I will have a scout around on Laptops. Main requirements, memory (2GB+), GPU (Quake3Arena, GTA3SA) and hard disk (40GB+ MP3).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by essexboyracer View Post
    Thanks zvbxrpl, damn, should've got one whilst over in Boston last month.
    You'd still have had to pay import tax when you arrived back with it to the UK (unless you're into smuggling, of course...)

I will have a scout around on Laptops. Main requirements, memory (2GB+), GPU (Quake3Arena, GTA3SA) and hard disk (40GB+ MP3).
    I don't know much about running games on Ubuntu/Linux, but I wouldn't guarantee that you'll get these two to run. A lot of games are written for DirectX which is a Microsoft product. I think it's possible to run some Windows games using programs such as wine or cedega. But I'm not an expert on this - maybe it's worth starting a new post somewhere else on this forum?
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ive had Q3A running before under Fedora Core. There is a linux community for Quake Enemy Territory, dont know about san andreas. Do you think it is a fair test of a laptops compatability by taking along a liveCD and running it in a laptop in a store before you buy?

Beans

If you know how to download an ISO and burn it to make a LiveCD, you'll probably be more knowledgeable that 90% of the staff employed in your average UK high street computer shop. Testing a machine with a LiveCD won't do any harm (though I've heard of people being asked to leave the store...) but it might not pick up all the hardware. Also you won't be able to test things like associating wireless to an access point. I wouldn't buy in store myself - it's a lot cheaper online. Surf the web for some models you like, then take a look at the laptop testing wiki (linked to in an earlier post in this thread) to check compatibility.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Shopping time! Which laptop?

Thanks zvbxrpl, damn, should've got one whilst over in Boston last month. The Tiny laptop im using has lasted, mainly because it isnt really portable, so hasnt suffered any knocks. Its on AC only as it has a dead battery. Yep, i too have no ethernet port, had to get a USB belkin adaptor for CAT5.

Hmm, not sure about that GPU spec - if you're that big into games then why not get a PS3 (remember it can be Linux'd) or XBox360 (yes, I know that's Microsoft!) and spend the rest of the budget to get a laptop for the rest of the stuff you want to do.

E.g. Game are doing the PS3 and GTAIV for £329, (or the '360, GTAIV and two other games for the same price), that leaves you about £470 for some kit, which I would have thought viable for a good enough lappy.

Folks I know say that Rock Direct do pretty good gaming laptops - trouble is that when I looked the entry price was just over £1000 (ex VAT). So that's a bit over your budget.

crossy
    I find that one of: "Use Linux", "Just reboot", "Hit it hard" and "No" are usually satisfactory answers for most computer-related questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Im using an Acer TravelMate and the Live CD picked up all the hardware straight away and after installing i've only had to add the ATI drivers and a couple of jigs to get some leds to do there thing, however, acer also have a couple of models which can be purchased with Ubuntu pre-installed, these machines are noticably cheaper (a couple of hundered dollars) as there is no *******, and everything is already setup. It's probably best to hunt on-line for what you want then go into a store that carries that line and get them to order it in for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12