Thread: No sound with pulse audio

Beans

No sound with pulse audio

I got the sound working for every application except the ones that work with gstreamer (Rythmbox and Totem) even if I have the package gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio. I'm on hardy 64. I can get the sound working properly with the alsa drivers. I have selected pulse audio in the gstreamer-proprieties. I dont know where is the problem...

Beans

Re: No sound with pulse audio

If you have ALSA set up to use pulse as its default device, you should get Pulse to manage the sound anyway. Basically you want to set ALSA to use pulse as its default output device, alternatively set your individual media apps to.

What does your /etc/asound.conf look like?
    Code:
    zorael@sunspire:/etc$ cat asound.conf
    pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    pcm.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.!default {
        type pulse
    }

Beans

did you added yourself to pulse group?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    What does your /etc/asound.conf look like?
    Code:
    zorael@sunspire:/etc$ cat asound.conf
    pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    pcm.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    My asound.conf is the same. And i'm added to the pulse group. In fact, i have followed many guides about the pefect pulse setup, but none of them make it work. I dont know why i have sound for all games but not for gstreamer apps... At least, i can still listen to the marvelous frozenbubble theme song...

Beans

I curse my failing memory for not being able to remember precisely what I did to get mine working. At present, if I start something with ALSA output, it properly shows up in the pulseaudio volume control.

I doggedly followed the guides and hints over at http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup, as well as random google results, most of which were posts here on these forums.

Beans

I've found the problem!! In pulse audio device chooser, in the section volume control, i changed the default output device from ALSA PCM in front:1 (VIA 8237) to ALSA PCM on front:0 (ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback)... I don't know what it means, but now i got sound comming out from my front speaker. I just need to set up my 6 other speakers...

It's weird because in System/Prefrences/Sound my defaut mixer track was my Creative audigy and not the VIA 8237 wich is the module for my motherboard sound card... Well thank you all for your help!