Thread: "cloned output" when I only have one monitor

Beans

"cloned output" when I only have one monitor

Installed 8.04 last week. Previously ran 7.10 but did a clean install as I was changing a few things. I don't recall having this issue previously, now when I go to select my resolution "cloned output" is always checked. I have an ATI x1900GT with 2 dvi ports... only one is connected to a 21" lcd, nothing on the other. Any ideas why this keeps coming up and what I can do to make it stop?

Beans

Re: "cloned output" when I only have one monitor

I am having this same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite with Intel on-board graphics. I can un-check the box but it reverts back, no matter what. This also happens when I try to connect my NEC 15" LCD. I believe with the second display connected, it believes the NEC is the primary but also will only allow cloned desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I suspect this is the reason WHY I'm having a seperate problem: DVD playback is audio only, no video. I too cannot turn off "cloned".

Beans

Noticed there was an update to xine display stuff today. After the update I no longer have "Cloned Display" checked with just the laptops screen. I tried to plug in my external LCD and it still will only do cloned display even though the box stays un-checked. It also sets the resolution of the external correctly but will only display that resolution on the laptops display.

Beans

try booting in recovery mode and at the selection dialogue select 'fix x configuration file" or something like that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am also facing this problem. the monitor I am using is a "Bridge BM 17C" 17" CRT monitor.
    AMD Athlon X2 4200+ processor, Bridge BM 17C 17" CRT Display, Asus M2N-E motherboard, Seagate SATA 80 GB Harddisk, nvidia nforce 570 Ultra chipset, Geforce 8400GS Graphics card, 1GBx2 PC-5300 DDRII RAM.