Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Increasing size of wubi partition?

Beans

[SOLVED] Increasing size of wubi partition?

I reinstalled wubi, and I chose the 30 gig installation. Is it possible to increase the size of that installation, to something like 60 gigs?

Beans

Re: Increasing size of wubi partition?

30GB should be more than enough for a while... If you really need more, you might considering using a dedicated partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree, 30 gigs is probably more than enough. Any more than that, you might want to consider installing Ubuntu through the regular live cd(s). Then you can set the exact partition size you want. I myself use Ubuntu through Wubi and I have a 15 GB partition for it. Works well enough for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would really like to know about increasing the size of the partition after a Wubi install. I am forced to keep vista or xp on my machines, but for very little usage.

Frankly, I don't know why I would want to change my current setup. Are there greater benefits of a dedicated partition? I did that before (the first time I tried Ubuntu) and it was very inconvenient, due to booting and wireless issues.

The absolute ease of my most recent experience with Ubuntu really is a tribute to the Wubi project. I use my machine for everything, and was quickly able accommodate all my computing needs in Ubuntu alone.

All the sugar aside, why would I want to alter my setup if I don't have to? I appreciate everyone's comments (above), but just because we are Ubuntu newbies, doesn't mean we are computing newbies. There is a reason we all invest in large hard drives: we need the space.

If expanding the size of the partition for a Wubi installation is not possible, then it is a worthy development goal.

Well that's just my two cents.

Beans

Beans

Exclamation Re: [SOLVED] Increasing size of wubi partition?

I am sorry, but it seems as if this thread is not solved:

for it gives no answer on how to increase wubi partition.

talking for myself, as know nothing, the reason I used wubi was just because it was easier, and after a couple of weeks of setting up my computer, almost never using windoz I don't really want to reload ubuntu...

please if any one can help me?

I would appreciate it very much, thanx!

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Increasing size of wubi partition?

Follow the instructions in the wubiguide under the section:

How can I get more virtual disk space manually?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have Ubuntu running over Wubi with 15GB.
    Personally - I feel its enough for my OS and programs. But obviously, you can't imagine storing all your data on it. I just plugged in another physical disk NTFS partition 'ed under *******. Ubuntu 7.10 or over should I presume be able to simply detect and automatically mount it under 'media'; if not should straight forward to mount it manually or at boot time from fstab.
    So while both my OS 'es i.e. *******.. and Ubuntu run from one disk, both the systems can access a common partition for my data. I dont say there's anything ingenious about the solution - it simply should work - your data it always accessible.
    I think - that should also help performance... atleast in instances like me, where I can SSH from anywhere and listen to my music, or can be running torrents!
    Last edited by nisarg; November 3rd, 2008 at 05:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have Ubuntu running over Wubi with 15GB.
    Personally - I feel its enough for my OS and programs. But obviously, you can't imagine storing all your data on it. I just plugged in another physical disk NTFS partition 'ed under *******. Ubuntu 7.10 or over should I presume be able to simply detect and automatically mount it under 'media'; if not should straight forward to mount it manually or at boot time from fstab.
    So while both my OS 'es i.e. *******.. and Ubuntu run from one disk, both the systems can access a common partition for my data. I dont say there's anything ingenious about the solution - it simply should work your data it always accessible.
    I think - that should also help performance... atleast in instances like me, where I can SSH from anywhere and listen to my music, or can be running torrents!

Beans

From wubiHelpSite
    "You can use LVPM, at http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html
    As an alternative, you can use the following script to move /home to a dedicated virtual disk.
    Download wubi-add-virtual-disk, open a terminal and run:

sudo sh wubi-add-virtual-disk /home 15000Where the first argument is the directory to move to a new dedicated disk, and the second argument is the size in MB.
    You should now reboot. If you are happy with the result, you can now remove /home.backup. To undo the changes remove /home, copy rename /home.backup to /home and remove the /home line in /etc/fstab."

but for me it was not that easy.......
    first download wubi-add-virtual-disk, and then move it your home directory...

then open terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo mv wubi-add-virtual-disk /bin
    Give password when asked

then i had to change file permissions of wubi-add-virtual-disk so typed this

Code:
    cd /bin
    then

Code:
    chmod 755 wubi-add-virtual-disk
    then type

Code:
    sudo sh wubi-add-virtual-disk /home 15000
    where 15000 is size of
    disk in mbs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast