Thread: Hardy Heron crashes often :-(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Hardy Heron crashes often :-(

Hi all,

Please can someone tell me if I'm the only one to experience this kind of problem?

I used to run Gutsy, then I downloaded the ISO for Hardy, burnt it. I did a "clean" installation (format HDD, then install) instead of upgrade to be sure I wouldn't have any problems.
    While Gutsy was not perfect on my PC (took about 4 minutes to boot, problems with Compiz...), it was never crashing the way my Hardy does.

I really hope to solve this problem because I don't want to downgrade back to Gutsy.

My laptop: Acer Aspire 3023 WLMi, AMD Sempron 3000+, 512mb DDR, 40go for the Ubuntu partition, ATI X700 Mobility Radeon.

The problem: Hardy crashes often, and does not respond to any key input. I try ctrl+alt+backspace; ctrl+alt+del, ctr+alt+f1, f2 etc
    => no feedback from the PC, I had to force reboot 3 times already today.

This happens whether Compiz is activated or not (tends to happen more when activated, but I'm activating it most of the times...).

I read through the forums and read that Firefox 3 Beta 5 was a source of unstability in Hardy, so I installed and used the 2.0.0.14 version that is in the repositories. It seems it does not crash as often as before (maybe 5 times a day before), but it still was crashing so I installed Epiphany, a Gecko based browser developed by GNOME. But the PC still freezes (I tried to wait up to 5 minutes to see if it would unfreeze, then reboot).

Sometimes, I can still move the mouse around the screen (even if clicking it won't do a thing), sometimes I can't. I suppose that if it moves, the X server can't be blamed??
    I was playing UrbanTerror 30 minutes ago and it crashed in the same way (it does not come back to the OS, the game is just frozen).

Hardy is great, I don't want to go back to Gutsy, can anyone please help me

If you have any queries re. my config I'd be happy to help!

Beans

Re: Hardy Heron crashes often :-(

You too?

What a waste; FF3b5 crashes so randomly now. I may open up my browser, click on a link on reddit and it will crash.

The thing that pisses me off. Heron's FF is worst than the firefox beta from mozilla.

I started using the FF3 betas since the beginning and everyone was more stable than what I am using now.

I seriously about to give up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey guys, thanks for not answering.
    Don't bother anyway, all my problems are solved: I shifted to Mandriva.
    Will try the OpenSUSE when it's out as well.
    It's so easy to shift from one distro to the other

Hope Ubuntu gets fixed soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Yeah, got them also (now using Feisty ), for me they are related to xorg. Everything freezes, only mouse pointer works, but i can login remotely. However trying to kill xorg brings everything down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by berlinbrown View Post
    You too?

What a waste; FF3b5 crashes so randomly now. I may open up my browser, click on a link on reddit and it will crash.

The thing that pisses me off. Heron's FF is worst than the firefox beta from mozilla.

I started using the FF3 betas since the beginning and everyone was more stable than what I am using now.

I seriously about to give up.
    I suggest disabling flash addon or other extensions before blaming firefox, especially if you had Hardy alphas/beta. Also check if you have libflashsupport installed, if so yuo should remove it.

Beans

i can't believe this crashing hasn't been sorted yet i wonder how many other people, just like voxan, are switching to another distro?

Beans

the issue i have seen on my notebook aside from FF3b5 crashing, is sometimes I'll hear the cpu fan speed up and the notebook gets really hot. I look at the possess and come to fine every time, evolution is running at 100% and I don't even use it. So i removed it and haven't had any issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I seem to have the same problem (effect) but mine just freezes, everything still work e.g music/video players continue without problem in the background. I can move only the mouse (always) and have to force shutdown. On the other hand, Firefox (3 Beta 5) has only crashed once on me. And I use it frequently. I think it might have to do with compiz or xorg. Someone please post a good reply for this problem, I like hardy.