Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those with the realtek 8187b wireless card

Beans

For those with the realtek 8187b wireless card

after ages trying to get this wireless card to work i have managed to do so. using ndiswrapper and a windows 98 driver. if you would like to get the driver to work on Ubuntu you need to add

%RTL8187B.DeviceDesc% = RTL8187B.ndi, USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8197&REV_0200

underneath

%RTL8187B.DeviceDesc% = RTL8187B.ndi, USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8187&REV_0200

%RTL8187B.DeviceDesc% = RTL8187B.ndi, USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8189&REV_0200

in both the sections labeled

IDs for 98SE/ME/2K/XP and IDs for X64

if you require the windows 98 driver you can download it from http://members.driverguide.com/drive...iverid=1165168 and unzip the file you download and navigate to the windows 98 file and edit the stated above in the .inf file

i hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: For those with the realtek 8187b wireless card

First, Thank you! I've tried the Linux drivers and wasn't happy with them, and this fixed the other option for wireless, you rock!

But I still can't get wireless loaded. If I use the Win98, WinXP, Vista drivers the log files show it fails since the driver is 32bit and kernel is 64bit.

So I tried the X64 and VistaX64 drivers. VistaX64 feeds alot of variables to ndiswrapper it doesn't understand and fails.

Heres what happens with X64...
    Code:
    laptop1 kernel: [   40.045996] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    laptop1 kernel: [   40.382683] ndiswrapper (link_pe_image:576): fixing KI_USER_SHARED_DATA address in driver
    laptop1 kernel: [   40.383805] ndiswrapper: driver net8187b (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.,07/18/2007,5.1097.0718.2007) loaded
    laptop1 kernel: [   43.894169] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    laptop1 kernel: [   43.930972] ndiswrapper: changing interface name from 'wlan0' to 'wlan1'
    laptop1 kernel: [   46.114261] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    laptop1 kernel: [   46.450972] ndiswrapper (link_pe_image:576): fixing KI_USER_SHARED_DATA address in driver
    laptop1 kernel: [   46.452103] ndiswrapper: driver net8187b (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.,07/18/2007,5.1097.0718.2007) loaded
    laptop1 kernel: [   49.967046] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    laptop1 kernel: [   49.970081] ndiswrapper: changing interface name from 'wlan0' to 'wlan1'
    laptop1 kernel: [   41.639997] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    laptop1 kernel: [   41.681334] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    laptop1 kernel: [   40.348915] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    laptop1 kernel: [   40.685695] ndiswrapper (link_pe_image:576): fixing KI_USER_SHARED_DATA address in driver
    laptop1 kernel: [   40.686818] ndiswrapper: driver net8187b (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.,07/18/2007,5.1097.0718.2007) loaded
    laptop1 kernel: [   44.197356] ndiswrapper: changing interface name from 'wlan0' to 'wlan1'
    laptop1 kernel: [   44.200281] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswraper
    laptop1 kernel: [   39.640667] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    laptop1 kernel: [   39.684583] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    And after logging in I get the login background and a message saying gnome couldn't load my settings, until I rescue my system and remove that driver from ndiswrapper.

Any ideas? Thanks again for your help
    "The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing..."
    -Leo Buscaglia

Beans

here is a thread i made a couple of weeks ago, there is the ndiswrapper way that you could do it or you could use the patched driver from datanorth
    (its all in this thread)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765671

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tjwoosta View Post
    here is a thread i made a couple of weeks ago, there is the ndiswrapper way that you could do it or you could use the patched driver from datanorth
    (its all in this thread)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765671
    Thanks, I've written in that thread to but I've never gotten any answers.

I have the patch and everything working but no one could tell me why iwlist scan works but iwconfig doesn't.

And thanks to this solution NDISWRAPPER finds the device now, but gnome freezes "loading my preferences" or fails to load the driver since there 32bit drivers.
    "The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing..."
    -Leo Buscaglia

Beans

hmm... well i did the patched driver from datanorth and as far as i know it only works for wep also it is very glitchy

i had a hard time to get it to connect to my home network at first then finally somehow i got it to work
    (i did it by clicking the network icon after i did ./wlan0up an a list came up of networks in the area then i just clicked mine)

so i logged in an now everytime i start wlan0 it just automatically logs onto my home network no problem
    (this computer doesnt usually log on to any other networks than my home )

i think if i had to switch networks often i would probably just get a new cheapo card or try the ndiswraper way, but from what ive heard the ndiswrapper way seems to work best for connecting to wpa wile the patched driver seems to work better for wep

Beans
    Distro

Ya, with the modified driver I can see some other guys WEP and an open network, but not mine, I suspect that would work but I'd rather not turn down the security just for one system.

I looked at the event logs and the .inf file and don't see a difference in the 32 and 64 bit drivers that would cause any issues. Hopefully someone will be able to find what's messing it up and let me know.

Thanks for your help
    -Leo Buscaglia

Beans
    Distro

Someone Please help. I really am in a jam here, I have to leave for business in a week and wireless would be really helpful.

If I can't get this to work I'll have to put ***shudder*** Windows back on the empty partition (There no way I'd switch back totally )

PLEASE help!
    -Leo Buscaglia

Beans

ive noticed on my wpa2 network doesnt allways work if im using the roaming settings so i have to use the manual way and it will pick up the wireless network automaticly allthough it might take a few mins to connect but it does eventually.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I'll try that right after I try the new ndiswrapper, Hopefully it wont crash when I try to load the 64bit driver
    -Leo Buscaglia

Beans
    Distro

Alright I got wireless working (WPA and WPA2) in the 32 bit version, but in the 63 bit version (yes I have both installed right now) I get the same error.

The GDM crashes, the error says that "there was no reply" but it doesn't tell me what is waiting for the reply or what should have replied.

I would like to get this to work in the 64-bit version, the only difference I can see is that the X64 and Win98 inf files point to different .sys files.

If anyone could tell me what to change or what to install it would be greatly appreciated.
    -Leo Buscaglia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast