Thread: Wireless in Ubuntu 8.04 and no Internet in Ubuntu Studio 8.04 on the same machine!

Beans

Wireless in Ubuntu 8.04 and no Internet in Ubuntu Studio 8.04 on the same machine!

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure this one out. In my current config (see my sig below), wireless works right out of the box in Ubuntu 8.04 - I use a Broadcom 4530 I believe.

I installed Ubuntu Studio last night and I have no Internet, no wireless, not even the Gnome nm-applet is showing... I wonder what's going on.

Your help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by the8thstar; May 1st, 2008 at 03:57 PM.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Wireless in Ubuntu 8.04 and no Internet in Ubuntu Studio 8.04 on the same machine

This isn't the greatest suggestion, but surprisingly, it worked for me. I had the same problem - I installed uStudio one night without Internet by my side, and told it to forget about configuring network stuff during the install. Later, it acted quite weird ...
    Anyway, what I did tonight was to reinstall uStudio with the Ethernet cable plugged in, so it found automatic DHCP setup, then went from there ... But it didn't show nm-applet, the thing that Ubuntu uses for network setup.

Go to a console (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal), and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
    It'll ask for your password, and then install. After that, you can type "nm-applet" and it will run.

It might still act weird, but go ahead and install all your updates, and restart the computer. Afterwards, it will hopefully be fixed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wireless in Ubuntu 8.04 and no Internet in Ubuntu Studio 8.04 on the same machine

ok I have tried everything i can see on the internet about this all questions and no real answers.

ubuntu studo 8.04, drivers are installed, network manager gnome, but no wireless internet whats missing WE need help.

Thanks everyone in advanced

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buck2825 View Post
    ubuntu studo 8.04, drivers are installed, network manager gnome, but no wireless internet whats missing WE need help.
    You need to turn on roaming mode for the wireless adapter.

- Left click on the network manager applet -> Manual Configuration, unlock it
    - Select Wireless connection, click properties
    - Click Enable roaming mode

Shortly you should see the available wireless networks in the applet.

Beans
    Distro

Hello, I am wondering - why is it any different in Ubuntu Studio than normal Ubuntu? When I install Ubuntu, it doesn't ask me to set up the network inside the installer, so why does it do it in Studio? (Or if it does ask, if I ignore it in the installer, it does work after installation is done.)

Beans

did anything work for you ?

Beans
    Distro

I don't understand your question.
    Could you please expand on it?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Perfect! Enabling roaming mode worked perfectly for me.

Thanks very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have an older notebook I just installed ubuntu studio 8.04 on and cannot get wireless set up. The above methods are not working. I an using a trendnet usb wireless adapter because the onboard adapter is not working. My only other thoughts are to try to set up ndis. Are there any other suggestions? This adapter worked fine using jaunty on this notebook?