Thread: have wireless in ubuntu, not in XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

have wireless in ubuntu, not in XP

Hey all,
    My computer is dual boot--XP and Hardy.
    I have been trying to hook up my wireless under XP for a long time to no avail---excellant connection, no internet.
    I can surf wirelessly via my neighbour, so there is no problem with my BCMxx card. My roommate can surf via my wireless router, so there is nothing wrong with the router either. I was at a loss trying to pin point where the problem is.
    Until yesterday when I enabled BCM under Hardy, I could surf wireless via my router! So my guess is there is nothing wrong with my modem/router/card settings.
    1. Am I right in thinking my wireless-related setting is wrong in XP?
    2. How do I fix this?
    3. Do I need to reset my wireless-related setting to default? how do I do that?
    Thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro

Re: have wireless in ubuntu, not in XP

Bump, can anyone help?

Beans

I can try to help you with this, but I need to know one thing first. In XP, what program do you use to manage your wireless? Is it the built in windows one, or one from the cards manufacturer, or are both possibly running? If both are running, this will cause problems with the wireless. If only one is, let me know which it is and I will try to help you with it.

Beans
    Distro

Wamoc,
    I don't know for sure, but since I don't remember downloading anything from the card manufacturer, I would say its all under XP.
    Is there a way to check and confirm?
    Thanks

Beans

It generally isn't installed separately, either as part of the driver set or it came with it preloaded. How you can check what you are using is read the description that is given from holding your mouse over an icon on the taskbar. Make note of any that could be a wireless controller program. If you see multiple, I recommend using the one from your wireless card, not the microsoft one.
    Does your wireless use encryption? If so, you might be using the wrong key. Try to get it to reask for the wireless key and reenter it. I am trying to remember how to do this, it has been awhile since I have done wireless with windows (my windows machines are wired desktops). If I remember how to do this I will let you know.

Beans
    Distro

Hey Wamoc,
    My wireless network is not encrypted.
    I do have both Dell and M$ wireless controllers on my computer, but the M$ one says something like go to the other one if I want to change anything, so it is not really in charge --- exactly what we wanted.
    I still don't understand why I can use my neighbour's, not mine.

Beans
    Distro

Bump, can anyone help?
    For some other reason, I have reinstalled my XP, but wireless still does not work with my own router (I can connect to neighbour's occasionally). Good signal, but no internet.