Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listing Installed Packages?

Beans

Listing Installed Packages?

So, like any newbie, I had to play with the Synaptic Package Manager. I've always installed programs I need from the CLI with apt-get, but every so often I browse the GUI package manager for things i may be interested in.

What I've realized, is that I always assumed after I installed stuff I'd find and play with it later... but it turns out most things aren't creating an icon.

Now, if I know what I installed, I can run it from a command line... but there is so much in the package manager... is there a way to have it display the things I've installed? If not, I have no way of knowing what I've installed without going through and looking for green boxes in the GUI.

Beans

Re: Listing Installed Packages?

Well in synaptic you can go to the status button and look under "installed"
    also if you need to you can also make synaptic tell you where things installed to by going up to "settings" then "preferences"
    and click on the first box listed, it will give you details on each package.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

In the left hand panel of Synaptic, there is a selection box and several buttons. If you click the Staus button and then in the selection box choose Installed, you will see all the packages currently installed on the system.

Beans

I have 1668 packages in my list when I got to STATUS - INSTALLED.

It would be really nice if there were a column there in which I could sort the results by the timestamp of when they were installed...

I installed the OS weeks ago on this machine, so the new stuff I don't really use yet but wanted to check out should be been the stuff installed in the past few days.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Code:
    dpkg -l |less
    or
    Code:
    ls /usr/bin
    or hit tabulator twice
    Last edited by daimaru; May 1st, 2008 at 07:22 AM.
    Intel Core i5 CPU 750 oc@3.75GHz - Asus P7P55D - Nvidia GTX 260

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, you can use dpkg to list all the installed packages on your system. check out dpkg's man page for more info on that (i'm not in my linux boot right now so i can't help there sorry).

But to be honest, thats just going to put out a hell of a lot of info that you'll struggle to work with (its probably easier to look through your synaptic lists - you can do all sorts of sorting and filtering there).

You can do tricky stuff with dpkg, like show all the stuff installed in the last x days, but you need to have pretty good knowledge of the command line...
    "Oh, you think you're doing some damage?! 2+2 is… 10… in base four, I'm fine!" - GLaDOS
    The House of LAN

Beans

or, if you want to write it to a file, so you can browse at your leisure...

dpkg -l > installedPackages.txt

And this is one of my favorites: This will list each according to its size

dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Installed-Size} ${Package}\n' | sort -nr | less
    Last edited by agim; May 1st, 2008 at 07:24 AM.

Beans

Of course, you could just open synaptic, and on the bottom left, there are a few buttons, click on Status, and then hit installed in the text box above

Beans

I like that dpkg-query command, because space is limited on my laptop. But when I uninstalled a program then ran it again, the program still showed up taking up as much space... So this is off topic, but I added the Tag line, because that showed me that it really wasn't taking up 100MB, that Tag had changed from "Installed" to "Config Files".

dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Installed-Size} ${Tag} ${Package}\n' | sort -nr | less
    Still, what I originally meant to convey that I wanted, was a list sorted by date of installation. I looked at the man pages on dpkg-query and dpkg and don't see how to do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Kissell View Post
    So this is off topic, but I added the Tag line, because that showed me that it really wasn't taking up 100MB, that Tag had changed from "Installed" to "Config Files".
    If you want to delete everything of a program (including config files) use the -purge option in apt-get | aptitude | "mark for complete removal" in synaptic
    Intel Core i5 CPU 750 oc@3.75GHz - Asus P7P55D - Nvidia GTX 260

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast