Thread: Cannot Log in

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Cannot Log in

So the other day I go to log into ubuntu and receive the following error message,
    "GDM could not write to you authorization file. This could mean that you are out of disk space or that you home directory could not be opened for writing. In any case, it is not possible to log in. Please contact you system administrator."

I run a dual boot of XP and ubuntu with a third shared partition. The only thing I can think of happening is when I download torrents, I copy the files to the shared partition then delete them from the Deluge folder on the ubuntu partition. If for some reason the deleting from the ubuntu partition doesn't work as I think it does, or something along those lines, then I could see my ubuntu partition being full, otherwise I have no idea what is wrong.

Any advice is appreciated, I'm not all too savvy with ubuntu yet so please try and be as thorough as possible, thank you very much in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Cannot Log in

Try logging in as root using the Recovery Mode boot menu option. Normally linux always sets aside some free space for the root user, so you should be able to get in with that account.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I was able to log in using the recovery mode, but what can I do from the terminal to make it so I am able to log in using the normal ubuntu log in?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Jeenyus View Post
    I was able to log in using the recovery mode, but what can I do from the terminal to make it so I am able to log in using the normal ubuntu log in?

Find out where all the space is being consumed

df -h
    sudo du -ch --max-depth=1 /

Or you can proceed straight to where Deluge is storing files, if you think that is the problem.