Thread: 8.04 Ubuntu on a laptop with second monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

8.04 Ubuntu on a laptop with second monitor

Hi all.

I'm looking for help trying to get a second monitor to work with my laptop running Ubuntu 8.04. I can get it to "detect/use" the external monitor during a reboot, but once the login screen pop's up, the external monitor turn's off. When I go into "screen resolution" and try to click "detect" nothing happens.

Has anyone else has any luck getting a external monitor to work with a laptop?

TIA

Louis

Beans

Re: 8.04 Ubuntu on a laptop with second monitor

Bump for great justice.

I have the exact same problem.

I'm using a HP compaq nc400 and some Prosonic TV

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

You don't say, but I bet both of you are using the OS ATI driver for your video cards. And I would venture you have older cards as well.

I have already opened a bug for this problem. I have not seen any action on the bug, however. I have switched to the vesa driver and it gives me my external monitor as a clone of the built in LCD.

I feel your pain, but I haven't had much success asking about this problem here or with the xorg group.
    HP Pavillion ZE5500 laptop
    ATI Radeon IGP 330M/340M/350M video card
    Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    ......in other words, hardware that hates Ubuntu, but I am an Ubuntu addict.

Beans

But are there any downsides on using the vesa driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

UHG... I'm having the same problem with my Dell E1705. It will install using the external, but once it's installed, and the system reboots...the external ceases to work. It's a real pain in the ***. It won't even detect the external if I try to set it up in "Screen Resolution" Any ideas... anyone?

Beans

I find that screen resolution applet useless, it never works for me. The only way I have got anything to work without using a text editor was to run sudo displayconfig-gtk in terminal, using that applet and using the ATI restricted drivers. I have other issues after getting my second screen to work, but using that utility did the trick for me.