Thread: Need help to install ubuntu. Thank you!

Beans

Unhappy Need help to install ubuntu. Thank you!

Hello,
    I've been using the 7.10 and now the 8.04 Live CD for quite some time, but always afraid to install it. Ive attempted it before, but I got as far as the partioning. I have a Dell XPS M140 (Laptop) with Windows XP Media Edition preinstalled on it. It has a 90 GB HDD. Ive already partioned it, 70.6 GB for Windows and a 22.9GB (Yes, I set it to ext3 filesystem) partion for Ubuntu. But I cannot add a swap partion (I need this right?) because I already have 4 Primary partions :S. And Im afraid to make the 22.9 partion an Extended partion for some reason. So these are my questions, what partions do i need (for a laptop)? What do I make these partions (Extended Partion, Primary Partion, etc...) ? Please, Help me ive been trying for weeks (literally). Thank You!

Beans

Re: Need help to install ubuntu. Thank you!

I've not done it myself, but it seems that other people have successfully installed Ubuntu to an extended partition. My partition scheme is as follows:
    /dev/sda1: primary partition containing Ubuntu
    /dev/sda2: primary partition containing Vista
    /dev/sda5: extended partition containing swap

Beans

Re: Need help to install ubuntu. Thank you!

Hi!
    Thanks for the reply. But I've already played around and tried to make it work, and it did! Thank you anyways!