Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Newbie totally clueless...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] Newbie totally clueless...

Hi guys,

I only recently installed ubuntu hardy heron to test out ubuntu. (NOTE: I'm a complete greenhorn in terms of computers)

I encountered some problems on installation already (black screen on installation). I managed to maneuver my way past with the noapic nolapic approach. I'm just sayin this, in case this is important.

I have an intel dual core and a GeForce 7600 GS. I am still at the bit where I need to install the drivers. (I chose the amd64 hardy heron version if this is important)
    The NVIDIA drivers are simply not working and I am running out of ideas.

what happened so far:

shortly after successful installation (only took me about 2 days ) ubuntu notified me that there are drivers available so I said yes. once they were installed, it said they may not work properly (sorry, for the inexact wording but I can't get the message again)

so that was that.

afterwards I surfed the net for various answers (by the way, I have internet connection, a picture with very poor resolution, mouse and keyboard work, i.e I am doin this from ubuntu not windows):

the first one I tried was EnvyNG. that appeared to have done the job (first uninstall all drivers, restart, install drivers, restart), however, it encountered several error messages on the way and on restart I was notified that the graphics card is not working correctly. so I tried to find the right one but that didnt help.

I then decided to follow the following guide:

http://www.lucioalbenga.com/2008/04/...vidia-drivers/

With this one I am able to download the driver from the nvidia website and put it into my home(very similar to windows ), but I am unable to open it.
    on typing into the terminal:
    sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12.pkg1.run

I get the following messages:

nebelhom@DualBootBonanza:~$ sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12.pkg1.run
    [sudo] password for nebelhom:
    chmod: cannot access `NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12.pkg1.run': No such file or directory

trying another approach:

nebelhom@DualBootBonanza:~$ sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run
    sh: Can't open NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run

The apt-get approaches give me the following messages:

Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

or

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)

(Please note I do not understand the commands I typed in there. I just followed procedures given from various websites)

basically, I'm out of ideas and wherever I turn seems to be a dead end mostly because I don't know how to navigate. is it possible, that one of you could give me a pointer in the right direction like a link to a thread with a similar if not identical problem (or the answer to all my questions, but answer != 42)? I wanted to teach myself BASH slowly but I think without guidance I am jumping in at the deep end not knowing how to swim.
    I checked various guides but they weren't any help, unfortunately. help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nebelhom

Beans
    Distro

Re: Newbie totally clueless...

System Details:

Intel Core2 CPU
    6420 @ 2.13GHz
    2.00 GB RAM

Onboard Sound
    GeForce 7600 GS

Thanks again for any help/advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Have you managed to install and try out the drivers in the repositories, by checking the relevant box in System->Hardware Drivers?

It sounds like you have some package manager problem as well. Did you have another package manager open (e.g. synaptic) when you tried to run apt-get?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nebelhom View Post
    Hi guys,

I only recently installed ubuntu hardy heron to test out ubuntu. (NOTE: I'm a complete greenhorn in terms of computers)

I encountered some problems on installation already (black screen on installation). I managed to maneuver my way past with the noapic nolapic approach. I'm just sayin this, in case this is important.

I have an intel dual core and a GeForce 7600 GS. I am still at the bit where I need to install the drivers. (I chose the amd64 hardy heron version if this is important)
    The NVIDIA drivers are simply not working and I am running out of ideas.

what happened so far:

shortly after successful installation (only took me about 2 days ) ubuntu notified me that there are drivers available so I said yes. once they were installed, it said they may not work properly (sorry, for the inexact wording but I can't get the message again)

so that was that.

afterwards I surfed the net for various answers (by the way, I have internet connection, a picture with very poor resolution, mouse and keyboard work, i.e I am doin this from ubuntu not windows):

the first one I tried was EnvyNG. that appeared to have done the job (first uninstall all drivers, restart, install drivers, restart), however, it encountered several error messages on the way and on restart I was notified that the graphics card is not working correctly. so I tried to find the right one but that didnt help.

I then decided to follow the following guide:

http://www.lucioalbenga.com/2008/04/...vidia-drivers/

With this one I am able to download the driver from the nvidia website and put it into my home(very similar to windows ), but I am unable to open it.
    on typing into the terminal:
    sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12.pkg1.run

I get the following messages:

nebelhom@DualBootBonanza:~$ sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12.pkg1.run
    [sudo] password for nebelhom:
    chmod: cannot access `NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12.pkg1.run': No such file or directory

trying another approach:

nebelhom@DualBootBonanza:~$ sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run
    sh: Can't open NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run

The apt-get approaches give me the following messages:

Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

or

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)

(Please note I do not understand the commands I typed in there. I just followed procedures given from various websites)

basically, I'm out of ideas and wherever I turn seems to be a dead end mostly because I don't know how to navigate. is it possible, that one of you could give me a pointer in the right direction like a link to a thread with a similar if not identical problem (or the answer to all my questions, but answer != 42)? I wanted to teach myself BASH slowly but I think without guidance I am jumping in at the deep end not knowing how to swim.
    I checked various guides but they weren't any help, unfortunately. help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nebelhom
    Grepping through my logs I have come up with this.

Remove all trace of your nvidia drivers....
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
    sudo apt-get uninstall --purge nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-legacy nvidia-glx-new nvidia-settings
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-legacy nvidia-glx-new nvidia-settings
    Then visit this site and look at the nvidia manual.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual

Then download the nvidia drivers again from nvidia : http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
    Make sure you save it to /home/yourusername where your username is your user name that you use to log on.

Find out your kernel, you are using, download the kernel header files, build tools and disable.

Code:
    uname -r
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc
    sudo apt-get build-dep
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-$(uname -r)
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Then try :-
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and find the line:

DISABLED_MODULES=""
    replace it with:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
    now we chang Section/Device/Driver
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Then run the shell script downloaded from nvidia
    cd ~
    cd /home/username
    sudo sh NVIDIA*

*** NOTE ***** note that "....Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/loc..." means you didn't sudo it (run it as root) and that ..."....No such file or directory...."... means the file is not in the current directory or you didn't save the file to /home/username so go back to downloading the nvidia drivers again..... Or just make sure you know the directory where you saved the nvidia shell script / drivers......

then
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    or
    Code:
    sudo reboot

__________________________________________________ _________________
    __________________________________________________ _________________

NOTE : This is not the recommended way to install nvidia drivers I found it works every time, but if you do get stuck in the shell type
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and set it to reconfigure X11 to use the nv driver, and you are back into graphical mode.
    Last edited by martrn; April 30th, 2008 at 11:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

thanks A LOT you two!!! I will try that.

*** NOTE ***** note that "....Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/loc..." means you didn't sudo it (run it as root) and that ..."....No such file or directory...."... means the file is not in the current directory or you didn't save the file to /home/username so go back to downloading the nvidia drivers again..... Or just make sure you know the directory where you saved the nvidia shell script / drivers......
    I think I took all that into account cos it seems common sense to me. Maybe I missed out a small snippet and that makes the difference.

Thanks a lot. will post again to give feedback whether it worked or not, but for now, back to work

Rock on, boys

P.S. quick question at the side about BASH:

is there a quick guide to navigating in BASH (I found a tutorial that I will hit once I finished teaching myself the rudimentary basics of python)? is it like DOS where you can enter into certain folders and run things from there or is it completely different and I shouldn't ask these questions as they only represent tomfoolery?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

BASH is a shell, and hence has some elements in common with the DOS command line (or DOS shell). e.g. "cd [directory]" will change directory, "dir" will list files (although "ls" is more commonly used).

Try a quick google of "beginners guide to bash". The two commands I found most useful when starting on the linux command line are "man" and "apropos". Execute "man man" and "man apropos" for more information.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nebelhom View Post
    P.S. quick question at the side about BASH:

is there a quick guide to navigating in BASH (I found a tutorial that I will hit once I finished teaching myself the rudimentary basics of python)? is it like DOS where you can enter into certain folders and run things from there or is it completely different and I shouldn't ask these questions as they only represent tomfoolery?
    I'm new to ubuntu/linux/unix myself, but I'd say it's not very different from dos. The commands are a little different, but the idea is the same, I guess.

I found one thing helpful: it's that when you're typing names of files or folders, you can type the beginning of the name and hit tab for autocompletion.
    In some cases when you're navigating into folders, you can for example type cd /home/yourusername/ and hit tab twice, and it will show a list of all the folders there without interrupting your string.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I followed the procedures as outlined by martrn (thanks by the way. it got me a little better understanding of the materia). however, it seems that the problem is a bit more deeply rooted. I will give you the error messages that I got so far when going through the instructions and then hopefully someone will understand more of this.
    Thanks in advance already. I do apologise for the length of the post, I just wanted to put in as much info as poss so that people can work with it.

The following error repeats itself over and over again. starting on the command to remove all previous nvidia drivers. please note the line and the ones following where it says 1 not fully installed or removed. I get this error from then onwards every single time.
    another thing at the side is the question of autoremove. I did not do this as i wasn't sure whether this would remove more than the files that I don't need. if someone could answer this one that would be a good thing to know at the side .

nebelhom@DualBootBonanza:~$ sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-legacy nvidia-glx-new nvidia-settings
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package nvidia-glx is not installed, so not removed
    Package nvidia-glx-legacy is not installed, so not removed
    Package nvidia-settings is not installed, so not removed
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    debhelper libpthread-stubs0 libgl1-mesa-dev po-debconf libtimedate-perl
    intltool-debian x11proto-kb-dev mesa-common-dev xtrans-dev gettext
    x11proto-input-dev libxcb-xlib0-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxau-dev dpkg-dev
    html2text libx11-dev patch libxcb1-dev x11proto-core-dev dpatch
    libxdmcp-dev libpthread-stubs0-dev
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED
    nvidia-glx-new
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 28.3MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 97947 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing nvidia-glx-new ...
    dpkg-divert: error checking `/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1': No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing nvidia-glx-new (--remove):
    subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    nvidia-glx-new
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Then I downloaded the most recent nvidia driver which is fine. kernel, update etc was fine as well apart from the constant notification of 1 not fully installed or removed. and the (Y/N) question.

then the kdesu commands were just mix ups between kubuntu and ubuntu I noticed (this is for the benefit of people who have the same problem and this procedure may work) I googled and typed in:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    if it is any help the following are the text documents I received. I noticed that it still says "Driver: 'vesa'"
    # This file is sourced from the linux-restricted-modules-common init
    # script and is used to disable the link-on-boot feature, one module
    # at a time. This can be useful if you want to use hand-compiled
    # versions of one or more modules, but keep linux-restricted-modules
    # installed on your system, or just to disable modules you don't use
    # and speed up your boot process by a second or two.
    #
    # Use a space-separated list of modules you wish to not have linked
    # on boot. The following example shows a (condensed) list of all
    # modules shipped in the linux-restricted-modules packages:
    #
    # DISABLED_MODULES="ath_hal fc fglrx ltm nv"
    #
    # Note that disabling "fc" disables all fcdsl drivers, "ltm" disables
    # ltmodem and ltserial, and "nv" disables the three nvidia drivers.
    # You can also name each module individually, if you prefer a subset.

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by failsafeDexconf, using
    # values from the debconf database and some overrides to use vesa mode.
    #
    # You should use dexconf or another such tool for creating a "real" xorg.conf
    # For example:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Boardname "NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series"
    Busid "PCI:2:0:0"
    Driver "vesa"
    Screen 0
    Vendorname "NVIDIA"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    Vendorname "Plug 'n' Play"
    Modelname "Plug 'n' Play"
    modeline "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Defaultdepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 640 480
    Modes "640x480@60"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    EndSection
    Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "v4l"
    EndSection
    Section "device" #
    Identifier "device1"
    Boardname "NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series"
    Busid "PCI:2:0:0"
    Driver "vesa"
    Screen 1
    Vendorname "NVIDIA"
    EndSection
    Section "screen" #
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Defaultdepth 24
    Monitor "monitor1"
    EndSection
    Section "monitor" #
    Identifier "monitor1"
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection
    Section "ServerFlags"
    EndSection
    Section "Extensions"
    EndSection
    The next step, I got completely stuck in:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    This, stops the graphical interface, correct? if it should not have, then it has done something wrong.
    Anyhow, this brings me to a black screen with the following writing at the beginning:

* starting anac(h)ronistic cron anacron [OK]
    * starting deferred execution scheduler crond [OK]
    * checking battery state [OK]
    * running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]
    then there is a free cursor with no prefix. by prefix I mean a prompt, for example in DOS you would see e.g C:\\ or python has >>>. but this has none which confused me a bit.
    typing then in the commands seemed to not make any difference. as a consequence I couldnt get back into graphics mode either no matter what I did and I could only do it via reset button.

I hope one of you can help me out with one or two of these problems that I have. I am not sure what this tells me but probably the first thing to do would be to get rid of the 1 not fully installed or deleted item.

I would not mind reinstalling hardy if that would make things easier, but yet again, I do not know how . again sorry for the lengthy post and thanks again for helping me out.

Nebelhom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cntl+Alt+F[1-6] will bring up terminals. Ctnl+Alt+F[>7] are (I think, but am not sure) usually used for graphical display - X is usually running on Ctnl+Alt+F7 (but sometimes higher). It sounds like you shut down the display manager from within the GUI.

Try pressing Cntl+Alt+F1, logging in on that terminal, and shutting down X from there. If you then press Cntl+Alt+F7 there should be no graphical display. You can then return with Cntl+Alt+F1, and when you're ready restart X with "sudo gdm start". You can return to the GUI by pressing Cntl+Alt+F7.

EDIT: Also, you should remember to log out of the ttys when you're done.

Beans
    Distro

EDIT: Also, you should remember to log out of the ttys when you're done.
    Sorry for this innocent question but what is a ttys and how would I log out of it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast