Thread: Sound not working between firefox and local/banshee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sound not working between firefox and local/banshee

If I watch a flash video (eg youtube) it works fine. However, if I then go to listen to an mp3/ogg in banshee the song doesn't start.

The inverse is true - If I'm listening to an mp3/ogg and pause it then go to watch a flash video the movie wont play.

I didn't have this problem on 7.04/7.10 or the mint linux equivalents. I assume it's something to do with pulse audio.

Any ideas for a fix? Any ways to regress to the sound software of 7.04/7.10?
    Dell inspiron 9300, Pentium M 1.73 GHz, 768 MB memory, 64 MB ATI mobility radeon X300
    There is only Gnome... and maybe Xfce...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Sound not working between firefox and local/banshee

I sure am getting better at fixing my own problems - and this one isn't as well documented as I'd like.

Basically I installed libflashsupport via

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libflashsupport
    this resulted in proper mixing of audio. I also set sound to always use pulse audio but I'm not sure if this was involved in my success - it's likely unnecessary.
    Dell inspiron 9300, Pentium M 1.73 GHz, 768 MB memory, 64 MB ATI mobility radeon X300
    There is only Gnome... and maybe Xfce...

Beans

Re: Sound not working between firefox and local/banshee

Thank you, farueulogy! I was having the exact same issue and your solution worked perfectly for me. This was extremely frustrating.