Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ustream.tv issue but Flash is otherwise fine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ustream.tv issue but Flash is otherwise fine

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    It's not worth the time for me to setup a dual-boot system just for this. Streaming video through uStream/Stickam is more of a geewiz thing so I'm fine waiting for it to work with what I have.

I may post another tread though asking about the pro's and con's of running 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu on the PanP5 because this isn't the first time I've ran into this problem. I don't want to hijack the thread though, so I won't bother with this here.

Take care --

Sam
    I can understand that. For most people, it is more for fun than function, depending on what is being done with is. Unless you are running a "show", it is not that critical.

If this is the case, the 64bit alpha does work really well if a webcam is not a big deal for ya.

As for the differences between 32 & 64 bit, outside of the usual benchmarks, I found that certain things are a bit faster. Installing or compiling software, video/audio rendering, stuff like that. Short of this, based on my experiences with 64bit Linux, that's about it but I am sure Tom can fill you in with other advantages.

Beans

I have ubuntu 9.10 64bit

I found the solution

go to your addons in firefox and install TV-FOX 1.4.0

then my ustream just started working.

hope this help!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by GrimStalker View Post
    I have ubuntu 9.10 64bit

I found the solution

go to your addons in firefox and install TV-FOX 1.4.0

then my ustream just started working.

hope this help!

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, and since then I've upgraded to Firefox 3.5 and ustream works to play videos about 90% of the time, but I've never been able to get streaming video to work. Does this TV-FOX add-on fix the problem with the webcam and flash??? If so then I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

Edit: Also wanted to note that I'm still running 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10 shipped with my system with 32-bit Flash going through the wrapper.

Sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've also been having trouble with this and other flash based webcam web apps.

I can watch live streams that are broadcast via ustream. All Youtube videos work fine. So far, every web based media player (video/audio) work fine.

My issue is when trying to a) broadcast on ustream, b) upload video to YouTube/Facebook via webcam.

My camera works under guvcview so I know my system recognises the camera. The camera also works through skype.

--edit--
    Also found this webcam test online
    flash webcam test
    Not sure how this may help with some of the issues posted above, but my camera works in this environment.
    Last edited by smkoberg; December 28th, 2009 at 05:00 AM. Reason: found webcam flash test website

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by smkoberg View Post
    I've also been having trouble with this and other flash based webcam web apps.

I can watch live streams that are broadcast via ustream. All Youtube videos work fine. So far, every web based media player (video/audio) work fine.

My issue is when trying to a) broadcast on ustream, b) upload video to YouTube/Facebook via webcam.

My camera works under guvcview so I know my system recognises the camera. The camera also works through skype.

--edit--
    Also found this webcam test online
    flash webcam test
    Not sure how this may help with some of the issues posted above, but my camera works in this environment.
    I never did try the Fox-TV plugin someone suggested, but from what I've read the webcam features of Flash do not work when using the wrapper with 32-bit Flash on 64-bit Linux. I can view ustream and stickam videos, but I can't broadcast. This isn't any fault of the webcam, but rather Flash just doesn't support it using the wrapper or in the Alpha 64-bit Flash for Linux. I think the only way to get this working is to run 32-bit Linux with the native 32-bit Flash plugin. If anyone has been able to broadcast video through Flash-enabled sites like ustream or stickam on 64-bit Linux, I'd love to know how

Thanks,

Sam

Beans

Exclamation Re: ustream.tv issue but Flash is otherwise fine

It's something wrong with Ustream. Check out this site:
    http://escale.net/mundo/

Streaming using Flash works fine there and I'm using the 32bit wrapper. I did have to toggle to Metacity to get the "Flash settings" box to allow clicks (all other clicky stuff works fine in Flash btw...).

I hate Flash...

Beans

I was able to get Ustream.tv working although not 100% reliable.

One problem seems to be that audio is very low. I go to input audio preferences on System/Preferences/Sound/Input and we I reload, video isn't working. Unplug and replug the camera and video is working but audio is low again.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nowhere@cox.net View Post
    I was able to get Ustream.tv working although not 100% reliable.

One problem seems to be that audio is very low. I go to input audio preferences on System/Preferences/Sound/Input and we I reload, video isn't working. Unplug and replug the camera and video is working but audio is low again.
    Thanks for the update... I've never been able to get the Alpha 64-bit Flash to work on my system, I just get Segmentation Fault in Firefox when it hits any Flash enabled pages. But with it still being buggy I'll probably stick with the wrapper until it's officially released which should be this year sometime.

Take care,

Sam

Beans

After reading all the posts in this section I decided to try another browser. I installed Galeon Web browser from the Ubuntu Software Center. Logged into Ustream and was able to broadcast. The only other thing I did prior to the install was go to the macromedia flash manager and enabled ustream... Hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by leviduncan1 View Post
    After reading all the posts in this section I decided to try another browser. I installed Galeon Web browser from the Ubuntu Software Center. Logged into Ustream and was able to broadcast. The only other thing I did prior to the install was go to the macromedia flash manager and enabled ustream... Hope this helps!
    Actually indirectly your comment got me going... I did download Galeon, but it still didn't work. I didn't think about setting UStream to Always Allow in the Flash Settings Manager.

From the Flash Settings Manager I cleared out all URL's in the camera tab, opened UStream and started broadcasting, which didn't work. Going back into Flash Settings Manager it then had 4 URL's listed in the webcam tab, so I set all to Always Allow. This did it... now when I try to Broadcast through UStream it works but is buggy.

If I adjust the Framerate or any settings in the Advanced section, the video freezes and I have to close and reopen Firefox to get video back. Likewise if I stop the stream and go back in, it won't work... I have to once more close and reopen Firefox.

I tested with Stickam and it worked as well.

Below are the URL's I have set to Always Allow in the Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager under the Webcam tab:
    player.stickam.com
    www.ustream.tv
    redir.adap.tv
    cdn1.ustream.tv
    flash.quantserve.com
    core.videoegg.com

So I think the problem was UStream nor Stickam were asking for permissions, and even though I had Always Ask set, the window to ask never came-up. When I tested with the Webcam Flash test sites the Ask window always appeared, but not for Ustream or Stickam.

Anyway, this is neat! Not that I'll be broadcasting that much, but I'm glad it's working.

And in-case I haven't mentioned it already, this is using the latest Alpha 64-bit Flash Plugin with Firefox 3.5.7 (Shiretoko) on Ubuntu Desktop 9.04... and on my PanP5

One more thing, I haven't tested audio, so I don't know how well that works. I have headphones plugged into my laptop now, but I'll test it later and post an update.

Take care, and happy broadcasting!

Sam

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast