Thread: set up a mail server on home server?

Beans

set up a mail server on home server?

Got hardy server, and tasksel installed the mail server only to find that my ISP blocks port 25 & won't unblock on request. Is there any hope left in installing a mail server? I notice ubuntu asked for a proxy URL and something about a smarthost during installation, could either of these be helpful in doing mail? I remember hearing some mumbo jumbo about tunneling through ssh to a proxy, or something like that, to bypass the need for ports when ISP's block them...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: set up a mail server on home server?

If you want to open the port on your router go to portfoward.comand select your router and select imap (something like that )after that select stuff like pop3.

Beans

Re: set up a mail server on home server?

well, i can open ports on my router, but then when the data gets to the ISP it's blocked there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[OFFTOPIC]
    sorry to talk off topic, but blocking INCOMING port 25 has nothing to do with spam sending - that is OUTGOING port 25 (correct me if i am wrong).
    does that mean you cannot send any mail anywhere via any smtp - or do just the mail servers from your ISP work and no other ?

the only way i can think of going around this is by tunneling your mailserver to the outside world through a third party or use a smarthost (since then your email server would act as an email client).

a full blown MX-server is not possible with port 25 blocked...

Just read the full article... this is crazy. I've never known this was happening, but this is just... i can't find any words for it. I'd be a reason for me to change providers...
    [/OFFTOPIC]
    Calvin: I'm being educated against my will! My rights are being trampled!
    Hobbes: Is it a right to remain ignorant?
    Calvin: I don't know, but I refuse to find out!

Beans

Hey your ISP will block it but they will provide you with their e-mail server. Talk Talk used to block mine but they told me to use their servers, they had no restrictions ever, so i was ok with that!

Hope that helps, JJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You could use a 3rd party in order to redirect your mail to a different port. Dyndns has a mail-hop service, but I wouldn't recommend their spam scanning and virus scanning associated with that service. We were using it at my company and we were loosing a hell of a lot of legit emails.
    Laptop - Acer 5560-7414,AMD A6-3420M 2.4 GHTz, 8GB DDR, 500GB WD Scorpion, AMD Radeon HD 6520, 12.04 64bit
    Mythtv - Asus A8N-E,AMD Athalon 3200+ 2.0 GHTz,4GB DDR, 1 TB WD , 500 GB Samsung, AMD Radeon X300, 12.04 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jbaileypro View Post
    Hey your ISP will block it but they will provide you with their e-mail server. Talk Talk used to block mine but they told me to use their servers, they had no restrictions ever, so i was ok with that!

Hope that helps, JJ
    Kinda defeats the purpose of having your own mail server doesn't it?

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lsutiger View Post
    You could use a 3rd party in order to redirect your mail to a different port. Dyndns has a mail-hop service, but I wouldn't recommend their spam scanning and virus scanning associated with that service. We were using it at my company and we were loosing a hell of a lot of legit emails.
    no-ip has a service for this. I like them beter than dyndns anyway.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

you can relay your outgoing mail through your ISPs server... that should be possible.